USB to 3*Spdif (Optical)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

This is going to be my first DIY project, so don't be too tough on me.
If it works, I would be happy to make some for whoever needs one.

Here is the project:
- USB input (need to support multi channels, minimum 6), need to support both 44.1khz and 48khz. 16 bit is enough.
- 3 stereo Spdif output (so in total 6 channels).

This is to be able to control 3 dacs with 1 computer.

I expect the overall design to be USB -> I2S -> 3 * I2S -> 3 * Spdif. Does this makes send or can I take any shortcut?

Step 1: Find the right USB chipset

Would any USB to I2S chip work to multi channel? Or does it need to be specially designed for multi channel?

I would opt for Tenor TE2077L. I found a board with USB input, TE2077L and I2S (LRCK, Data, MCK, BCK, GND) output.
USB ת SPDIF ͬÖá I2S´¦ÀíÆ÷TE7022оƬ֧³Ö24λ96K²ÉÑù-ÌÔ±¦Íø

Else, can someone advice on a chip? I know CM108 support multi channels as it is used in some low end 5.1 sound cards.

Step 2: From I2S to 3*I2S to 3* Spdif
I have no idea, can someone advise me on what to look for?

Thanks,
Serge

You might consider it a cheat but you could put a USB hub into the loop so
'USB -> 3* USB -> 3 * I2S -> 3 * Spdif' though at this point you could just use multiple USB (or PCI for that matter) sound cards...

If you are starting with dolby digital one option would be to look at what receivers use to pull apart the S/PDIF 5.1 data. If you could copy that circuit you could perhaps feed those streams into your DACs.

Indeed, need 3 time optical out, one for each channel. If the 3.5m output of the LogiLink had spdif output too, that would be a good solution, but it does not.

I am not starting from Dolby Digital but from AAC 5.1 or DTS-HD (on my laptop).

Connecting multiple sound card is phisically easy but does not have a software solution that roots the different channels to the different sound cards (at least so I read).

Serge

OMG. I have tried to do this for 1 year, not knowing which way to go about it.

The aim was simple: whatching a movie which as AAC 5.1 channels (or AC3 decoded into PCM 5.1 by AC3 Filter) using 3 different DACs (all having USB & SPDIF inputs) which have 2 channels each.

I considered 2 solutions:
1. Building a USB to 3* SPDIF converter. Each SPDIF optical cable could then be connected to a different DAC.
2. A software solution. The problem was that I did not know what I was looking for until Mickatroids put me on the right track. This is the solution that works.

How to?
1. Install Virtual audio cable, set up a single virtual cable with 6 channels (NC means number of channels in the control pannel). Make sure that in the Windows properties of the audio device (line 1) it is also configured as 6 channels. Then test the devise y righ clicking on the device and select test in the playback device window of Windows. You should not hear anything, but you should see the volume bar becoming green 6 times (one for each channels).

2. Install Asio4all. Activate all the device that you want to use. Not much to do here.

3. Install Cockos Reaper.
- Ctrl+P. Select Asio, then Asio4all. Then for input make sure first is Virtual Cable 1.1 (the 1st channel of your first and only virtual cable) and last is Virtual Cable 1.7. Then for output, make sure all the DACs/Soundcards that you want to use are included between your first selection and the last one.
- Add 1 track. Click I/O. Add new hardware output. Select "DAC1 Channel 1/2" or whatever your DAC/Soundcard is called. At the bottom of the box representing the track, you can select the input. Select Stereo: Virtual Cable 1.1 + 1.2. Press the red button which says Record Arm/Disarm. Press the Speaker button which says Record Monitoring On unti it is green.
- Add 1 track. Click I/O. Add new hardware output. Select "DAC2 Channel 1/2" or whatever your DAC/Soundcard is called. At the bottom of the box representing the track, you can select the input. Select Stereo: Virtual Cable 1.3 + 1.4. Press the red button which says Record Arm/Disarm. Press the Speaker button which says Record Monitoring On unti it is green.
- Add 1 track. Click I/O. Add new hardware output. Select "DAC3 Channel 1/2" or whatever your DAC/Soundcard is called. At the bottom of the box representing the track, you can select the input. Select Stereo: Virtual Cable 1.5 + 1.6. Press the red button which says Record Arm/Disarm. Press the Speaker button which says Record Monitoring On unti it is green.

Select Line 1 (your vitual audio cable) as the defaut device in Windows config and start a movie with AAC5.1 or AC3 sound (I use MPC and AC3filter). The front channels will go to DAC1, the center and sub will go to DAC2 and the rear channels to DAC3.

Let me know if you ever try this and if it works for you too.....

Serge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.