Recommendations for further DAC optimization?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I have now built 2 pieces of a DAC I put together. It was inspired in great part by the ezDAC (which seems to have vanished from the Internet - no, wait!). I essentially changed power supply lines, biased the ouput opamps and replaced the ASRC with a different model; added a display; added filter roll-off char selection, PIC for controls etc. etc.

I also added a CS8416-based, 5 input (3 coax, 2 opt) S/PDIF receiver board and an SD WAV player. S/PDIF playing 192 kHz, 24 bit material quite nicely (not that I can _hear_ a difference with 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, but that's another discussion I guess).

I am quite pleased with the sound. Especially replacing the older lm317 linear regulators with something more modern seems to have done a lot for the sound.

Anyway, my question: based on attached RightMark test report, where would you look next for improvements? Measurements were made with my EMU PCIe0404 sound card.

Obviously, the THD + Noise and IMD@10kHz are bothering me because they're not at excellent :) But is it reasonable to expect increased performance for a DAC+WAV player which costs ~100 US$ in parts?...

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.