Question about Proceed PDT3 XLR output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hoping some of the seasoned veterans on this board might know the answer. I decided to try the other digital outs on my PDT3, but wasn't sure if there was a consensus on whether the RCA was better than the XLR (or vice versa). I have the schematics for the PDT3 and it looks like the RCA output is transformer coupled (a good sign), but at least on the version of schematics I have, no XLR out is shown. I was wondering if it was a true balanced output.

As far as my own ears & reports from clients, if there is any advantage, given cables that are as identical as possible, RCA coax is better than AES/EBU balanced. Even my studio clients agree. Yes, AES is, properly, always transformer coupled & balanced. However, I certainly prefer no transformer on the transport end, and coax RCA, and no transformer on the dac end, if no ground loop problems arise. Ground loop issues are, IMO, the only good reason to transformer couple an spdif connection. But, of course, ground loop hum has to be really significant to plainly disturb the digital signal, so those who don't have oscilloscopes to check for hum riding on the digital line are best to have at least one end of the interface coupled with a transformer.

As far as my own ears & reports from clients, if there is any advantage, given cables that are as identical as possible, RCA coax is better than AES/EBU balanced.

Thanks Steve. I seem to recall you have some experience with the PDT transports (am I remembering that correctly?). Is your conclusion in this regard tied to comparisons you may have done with a PDTx? I wish the PDT3 had a true 75 Ohm BNC out. That would be the best possible output, IMO.

The coax vs AES comparisons done by myself & some of my clients have been on Museatex, Accuphase & I can't recall what else at the moment. I have not worked on or heard a Proceed transport or dac newer than around the PCD2. Just from the hardware used, I would personally choose the original PDT as the best Proceed transport to have, although it's not nearly as good as the Museatex C-Lock CDD, which uses the same mech, and is still my favorite cd transport ever.
Personally, I find the big problem with AES is that there still aren't any xlr cable & chassis mount connectors that are half as good for digital as even the modestly priced, copper-based rca connectors that have been available for years. I think xlr was actually a poor choice for the AES/EBU standard, and it would have been better to go with some form of twin-axial RF connector. But studio people love their xlr's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.