WEILIANG DAC5 - WM8741 & Tenor TE7022

Got a message from Stanton Tin (Jim's Audio - eBay) on the new DAC in post #98. He is only offering the assembled version for now due to the high number of components. Joked that all that soldering is really boaring, one should just enjoy the beautiful sound :) No comment on a software hook.

I asked that he pass on the feedback he gets from his customers.

Got a message from Stanton Tin (Jim's Audio - eBay) on the new DAC in post #98. He is only offering the assembled version for now due to the high number of components. Joked that all that soldering is really boaring, one should just enjoy the beautiful sound :) No comment on a software hook.

I asked that he pass on the feedback he gets from his customers.
actually, this dac is around longer than DAC5 or DAC6. Don't know if weiliang built it. If he did, it should be DAC4 ;)
It is DIR9001+2*WM8741. Two wm8741 in a dual mono configuration. Great for increased SNR.
No µcontroller on board, so hardware controlled.
You could challenge which receiver is best WM8805 or DIR9001? They have very similar specs, especially regarding jitter. However, dir9001 needs an additional front-end chip for spdif coax input and I had issues with that in another dac, so now I prefer wm8805. It's also more compact.
USB receiver Tenor TE7022 chip is *far* superior to the pcm2706.
Overall, I consider the dac linked in post #98 expensive for what it is. just my opinion of course ;)

Thanks alkasar,

That type of information is very helpful. My high regard for the vendor is based on my experience with a JC-2 pre, BP-150 and some PS kits. Stanton is always available for support, which is great for someone like me who often develops two left hands in the middle of a project.:rolleyes:

I am aware he started his development on this one almost a year ago. Not sure what modification were made. It will be interesting to hear the feedback he gets.

You've made quite a bit of progress. Congratulations!

I would still be suspicious of damaged electrolytic capacitors. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more is the source of that distortion.

Got good results with the new reg but still not there yet. Audio is being produced on both channels - Hooraaayy !! :D

However the quality is very poor. There is a static mask plus distortion the makes the signal unusable.

It can be heard here.

Does that sound familiar to anyone.

You've made quite a bit of progress. Congratulations!

I would still be suspicious of damaged electrolytic capacitors. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more is the source of that distortion.

Since the distortion is on both channels, wouldn't that indicate the problem is with a component that is either common to both signals or before the audio portion of the DAC (eg. power supply circuit). Any guesses which electrolytics could be within that description? It appears many my be around the WM8741 itself.

Last edited:
Regarding electrolytics: I can't make specific recommendations, but you might check back and look at your original voltage measurements. There were some reversed voltages. I'd check any electrolytics in those circuits.

Regarding the new DAC7: I wonder if the DAC7 will use the nice, low-noise TCXO when it is driven via USB. The Tenor board that plugs into the DAC5 has its own TCXO, and I think it is used when the Tenor board is plugged in instead of the TCXO on the DAC5 board.

DAC5-V1.9

Hello Mr. Weiliang.
a few months ago from ebay seller I bought your DAC5-V1.9.
DAC output section is changed; I put Lundahl OPT + volume pot + JFET buffer. With my (very tweaked) transport from Marantz CDP-Pro, sound is impressive and I'm very pleased.

I want to do for next few modifications and testing but can not get a schematic of this DAC.
Is it possible to get DAC5-V1.9 schematic from you?
Of course, schematic will be used for internal use only.

Please contact me at.

rajko_m (at) yahoo (dot) com

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• WM8741 DAC5-V1.9.jpg
    WM8741 DAC5-V1.9.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,041
Hello Mr. Weiliang.
a few months ago from ebay seller I bought your DAC5-V1.9.
DAC output section is changed; I put Lundahl OPT + volume pot + JFET buffer. With my (very tweaked) transport from Marantz CDP-Pro, sound is impressive and I'm very pleased.

I want to do for next few modifications and testing but can not get a schematic of this DAC.
Is it possible to get DAC5-V1.9 schematic from you?
Of course, schematic will be used for internal use only.

Please contact me at.

rajko_m (at) yahoo (dot) com

Thank you very much.
Hi,
Mailed to your address, thanks.:)

DAC7 problems

Hi Guys, I assebled a dac7 this weekend and with lo-Res material it is playing fine.
But with high res (96 or 192) there is a distrortion in the music, something like a shadow sound - that follows the normal sound instead of silence.
It seems that it is jitter but I am not sure.
Any suggestions will be appriciated.

br.
Panos

Hallelujah !!!!

The TE7022 USB input sub-card was delivered today and it works perfectly. I'll let it run on the small test bench system for a while and then hook it up to the main one. So far the sound is clean, bright, full and well resolved.

This confirms the problem/s is with the SPDIF path. I can now try to isolate those components and attempt to replace them - maybe. I'm on the list to get the new I2S module offered on another thread on the forum which reportedly will remove the need for anything other than USB.

Thanks all for your support and encouragement.:wave: I'll report back after a few days of listening.

Hi everyone,

I bought a DAC5 v1.9 on eba**, and received it today (with a 2months delay).
But no schematic was given to me.
Is it possible to email it to me : myifua (at) gmail dot com

thanks in advance

another question : I want to use it with a quad 405 SMPS kit (with moded input level) and I thought I could use a buffer as preamp.
I wonder why RajkoM use a transfo AND a buffer, don't the use of one of the two would manage the impedance problem?

thank you for your answers

Hi Dikosma,
DAC7 lanched on the begining of this August, which is a new products. Combine 2 pcs WM8741 with high quality components, sounds nature and clear. Became a hot seller since listing!:)
Thank you very much.
But I already bought the DAK for experiments.
To be honest, your afraid to buy because no reviews.:(
Very interesting, maybe buy a little later.:)