WEILIANG DAC5 - WM8741 & Tenor TE7022 - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2013, 01:27 AM   #291
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear things are working there. I haven't used any other Caddocks than the 930 ones, but I want to try the thin film variety next.
I also just purchased another transformer, a toroidal one as well. My headphone amplifier burned out the one I had in it. While I am waiting for the package to arrive, I replaced the small wima capacitors in the headphone amp with some of the ERO 1837 I had. It sounds better already just using the laptop earphone jack as a source! Those things really work.

Considering a discrete op amp for the buffer next, maybe...
Old 5th July 2013, 03:27 PM   #292
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase View Post
Glad to hear things are working there. I haven't used any other Caddocks than the 930 ones, but I want to try the thin film variety next.
I also just purchased another transformer, a toroidal one as well. My headphone amplifier burned out the one I had in it. While I am waiting for the package to arrive, I replaced the small wima capacitors in the headphone amp with some of the ERO 1837 I had. It sounds better already just using the laptop earphone jack as a source! Those things really work.

Considering a discrete op amp for the buffer next, maybe...
I did try the wima, don't like it too. i drop a pair of op627 to replace the old 49720 few months ago, wasn't my preference, then went back to 49720.
Last week i try with the op627 again and replace the tl072 with 49720, what a huge different. love this setup. will try the mkps' and few micas then i will finally assemble in the box.

brought more components today , with a RA audio resistor, will try on the coax input section. i know circuit schematic is most important, but sometimes some good components will make a difference.

i try the op627 on tl072 with 49720, suprisingly i got oscillation in R channel.

Last edited by kentdream; 5th July 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 5th July 2013, 04:08 PM   #293
diyAudio Member

Smile power supply caps

I removed all the 100nf bypass capacitors and the all the cheap round 100uf's.
Once you remove the bypass it enables you to use 3 of the 5mm holes for much better larger caps and the other 3 are a much smaller 2mm spacing. I ended up using what I had. My next mod will be to change the digital decoupling (currently silmac ll) 2mm spacing with Nichicon LF, one is laying down and the other is by the reg.

How does it sound?
Imho the dac5 was always lacking in the low end which if very abnormal for the Wolfson chips, the top end was gritty and seemed to be raised .Now after removing and replacing these caps the frequency response has levelled out. It has more of that beautiful low end grunt and a much flatter natural top end. There is more air and spacing between instruments. I am amazed at how much the power supply has changed the sound. The original caps are not doing anyone any favours. Especially the bypass 100nf.

Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dac5.jpg (61.1 KB, 396 views)
Old 6th July 2013, 07:39 PM   #294
diyAudio Member

The most noticeable change really was from the 100nf caps, cost a about $7,replacing them made the opa627 able to be heard. I have an opa2134 coming to replace the tl072, should be here by now actually.
Nice to have it sorted out ill bet, it has been fun sprinkling a few dollars onto a great design and hear it come to life. I did spot some Aerovox capacitors at a surplus site however, but is hard to justify replacing the Samwhas so soon.
I'm now replacing my shady fusing to be safer and more reliable now that I'm about to let it rest for now. I had both the dac and headphone amp running off the same set of fuses, not the best by any means.
Happy listening...
Old 6th July 2013, 11:34 PM   #295
diyAudio Member

Phase,
I am not referring to any part of the op-amp circuit. Only the power supplies for all the wm8805-wm8741 and clock. I have completely bypassed the op amps with a tube amp. The lager caps bring in the low end bass and removing the 1nf bypasses on the decoupling caps (primarily) levels out the top end.
Old 7th July 2013, 02:39 PM   #296
diyAudio Member

I had some Samwhas come with v1.7/1.9, that was horrible(guess due to minimal cost)
replaced with a nichicon(unknown series) at very begining ( come with v1.3 labels were buried, markings were all fade out not sure if fake, but maybe old stock).
P1100032.jpg

Got tired try to get better mids, replaced with a bigger & better nichicon kg . I agreed that main capacitor makes a significant different. Before the mids were dull, percussions were appear in front of the volina . now they locate where they should be.

Here is what done recently.
P1100030.jpg

Last edited by kentdream; 7th July 2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 7th July 2013, 03:24 PM   #297
diyAudio Member

Kent,
You have replaced the Op-amp Supplies.I am not using Op-amps and have no power to that circuit. But there is a much more substantial gain to SQ if you change the Chip supplies and remove the decoupling bypasses as I have done.
Old 9th July 2013, 09:40 PM   #298
diyAudio Member

I haven't found many caps that will fit where the large ones are, most are 30mm at least.
Maybe I should just get the aerovox...
I have heard that the crossing frequencies don't always sound natural when bypassing, maybe Ill try taking a couple out the next time I'm in there. I do like how more room is created by removing the small ones to make way for some decent parts.
The os-cons sound very good on the clock, and on the dac chip also.
I think it would be very cool if better parts were offered from the start, with some specs to back it up, would save on shipping charges. But it wouldn't be nearly as much fun however.
Old 15th July 2013, 02:51 PM   #299
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase View Post
I haven't found many caps that will fit where the large ones are, most are 30mm at least.
philips do have a few 40v capacitors that fit on this board.

New components finally arrived, testing right now
Old 25th July 2013, 05:55 AM   #300
Boydk is offline Boydk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Inbox full

Hi Mr. Weiliang
Tried to send you a private message, but your inbox seems to be full. Please clear some space for me

Hide this!Advertise here!