WEILIANG DAC5 - WM8741 & Tenor TE7022

Ok that's good to know, thanks for the info. Sometimes I wish I had a better setup with a display like that also.

I just got things working again, with some good replacement parts. Lesson to self: don't buy weiliang-type products from random fleabay vendors. The folks at diyhifishop were great with the fast customer service.

It was a bad te7022 board, and I'm not going to hack it with the separate clock board this time, since it had been working for a year before that, and maybe only a month or so after.
Maybe the balance of power was shifted after pulling it from the onboard clock somehow, boosting the voltage up and damaging the te7022 or something else, who knows...

here's a link to an spdif 'meter' I designed for the arduino. its cheap and mostly easy to build. it does depend on having a wordclock pin on some chip, as its basically a freq counter in firmware and maps the wordclock freq to a discrete led for your front panel. if you have i2s on a system, that will have wordclock.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...b-interface-audio-widget-177.html#post3125474

pic of it:

Attachments

• 6931855681_0ff25bd48c_b.jpg
    6931855681_0ff25bd48c_b.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 294
I really want to get boards made for that spdif meter. a lot of people like to know what their sample rate is (to know that their audio is not being resampled).

I don't love doing pcb design, though. if anyone wants to take a stab at this, I'd be more than happy to help out with the schematic or connection netlist, but I just hate doing eagle work (which is the only pcb designer tool I know).

maybe there could be a group buy, as well. the more the merrier.

DAC6 mod for Car PC

Here is my DAC6, bought to use with my CarPC. I made an voltage inverter using the 555 timer chip, and two voltage regulators to get +9.6V and -9.6V to power the opamp. The other regulator is powered by 12V DC directly without retification diodes.

No noise, no hum. It's very stable!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(Sorry for my bad english)

I am in possession of DAC7 (Finished DAC7 parallel dual WM8741 + WM8805 + CM6631A +AD627 Audio DAC), I am very happy with the sound but I hear occasional crackling sound. The DAC is currently playing for two weeks now, has anyone here experience and to solve this secondary not desirable sound?

When is this crackling sound occuring? Is it a random event even if the music signal is low (in other words, not clipping)? Have you isolated the source and any possibility of an external factor leading to this noise? What your DAC assembled by the seller or yourself?

When is this crackling sound occuring? Is it a random event even if the music signal is low (in other words, not clipping)? Have you isolated the source and any possibility of an external factor leading to this noise? What your DAC assembled by the seller or yourself?

Thanks for your feedback, the cracking sound is heard only with the USB connection, so when I play music from my PC. The DAC was assembled! My suspicion is that the sound comes from the PC side, it can not be heard by other connected loudspeakers from my PC. I have also found that the optical connection of DAC is not functioning, I have got from Mr.. Along a diagram of the DAC, but I can not do anything with it unfortunately. I also wonder if it is normal that the DAC becomes incredibly hot, I've been made a fan with a few holes in the casing ​​to make it cool.:eek:
A lot of little problems for such a small device, but I have to admit that he sounds supper with my music fidelity amplifier.

This all around sounds like another case of sonic death by China. It does sound like there is at least one fault or more with your DAC board. Where is all this heat coming from? An onboard regulator, or one of the chipsets? Can you identify the components that are hot? While I am not outright surprised that the seller hasn't helped you, I would have expected more members here who have experience with these boards to have come forward and lend a hand.

Hundreds of people will read these pages in years to come, and the thing I want to point out to potential buyers it to exercise caution when buying from eBay and Chinese tao agents. They don't care about you, the customer, and their business model is built on short term one-time sales to people who are trying to get hi fidelity while saving pennies. If you are considering one of these DACs, I would much rather have you enjoy a quality product like Twisted Pear's DACs. The extra little money you spend will save you much heart ache after the sale.

I call it the 'sell and run' mentality. one-time sales with no care for return business. really bad way to be a business. also buying from china means that if you get a defective item, its cost prohibitive to return it back (including the necessary tracking info, so you cannot use the cheaper forms of shipping). shipping coming here is cheap but going back is anything but cheap.

Yes indeed, is not just the device send back, the costs are simply too high.
The heat comes from the parts where the cooling rods are fixed, with the fan above the heat is currently not significant, but it is obviously not good. the reverenties of this DAC were good so I have this also bought from these opinions. once again the sound is excellent and hopefully will continue to do this.

Sounds like a buffering noise, have you played with the settings on the pc?

Except for a usb card that I zapped while fiddling around, my dac5 has been very rewarding.
I did add a fan after introducing the burson modules.

I'll take my chances with Chinese electronics, I have had issues with stuff made everywhere, and try not to buy anything I can't fix, or justify the cost of the loss.
I laugh at overpriced equipment made with less than ideal designs.

Sounds like a buffering noise, have you played with the settings on the pc?

Except for a usb card that I zapped while fiddling around, my dac5 has been very rewarding.
I did add a fan after introducing the burson modules.

I'll take my chances with Chinese electronics, I have had issues with stuff made everywhere, and try not to buy anything I can't fix, or justify the cost of the loss.
I laugh at overpriced equipment made with less than ideal designs.

I would like to know what setting you have and which driver you have installed.
I have a Sony VAIO laptop with W-7 and I use music player AIM3 where you can choose which driver you want, I choose the ASIO-for C-Media USB devise-16 bit. I can also choose WASAPI exclusive event ore puch Dac, but this does not matter with regard to the audible sound.:confused:

I also have win7, is a dell product, and am using the default windows driver that I beleive was updated sometime last Summer(6.1.7601.18208).
The settings are limited, have selected all sample rates/formats if that makes a difference.
I am unable to dig into my computer and see what the buffer settings themselves are unfortunately.

I did run into an interference problem with a monitor ground that was feeding a hum into the line, used a cheater plug for that, and fixed it. So I know you have to be careful what else is plugged into nearby on the same circuit.

I am in possession of DAC7 (Finished DAC7 parallel dual WM8741 + WM8805 + CM6631A +AD627 Audio DAC), I am very happy with the sound but I hear occasional crackling sound. The DAC is currently playing for two weeks now, has anyone here experience and to solve this secondary not desirable sound?

Hi there, I have the same problem too. I feed the signal from a CD player optical out into this DAC optical port. Everything work fine until I change a song tracks. There will be a momentary pops lasting about a second. The problem is intermittent. very frustrating.

if it was me, I would never consider putting my name behind a product that uses china ebay parts as its source.

ymmv, but I simply would not do it. I would not use the pcb layout (they are never very good), I would not use their parts and I would not use their design.

if your name and reputation means anything, then just don't. that's my advice, fwiw.