WEILIANG DAC5 - WM8741 & Tenor TE7022 - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2013, 05:05 PM   #171
diyAudio Member

Hi linuxworks,

I have a question concerning the DAC-7 kit you built. Were the SMD-parts already assembled and only the standard parts needed to be soldered? Or is it a plain PCB and all parts (incl. SMD) need to be assembled?
I'm asking because I never soldered SMD-parts before and I'm not sure if I want to start learning it with this circuit.

Greets
Sven
Old 5th January 2013, 06:31 PM   #172
diyAudio Member

on mine, I asked for a fully unsoldered kit. I don't know what the default kit is. I think you can ask to have the smd parts soldered on but I'm not 100% sure.

the built-price is so close, maybe you should just buy the working version? the parts will be tested, no mistakes should be made and it would be easiest that way. one of mine was built and it also helped me assemble the kits that I also bought.

if you do try to solder the chips, USE LOTS OF FLUX. get a jar of amber color flux and practice on some junk boards with it. flux flux flux. that's really the secret.
Old 5th January 2013, 06:45 PM   #173
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Did you see Hifidino's latest blog where he says his WM8741 code never worked! Something about 8bit registers being sent as 7-bit. He said the controller will go thru the motions but nothing really changes, this is like 2 years after the fact

If you notice the commercial assembled Wieliang version of this DAC7 is software controlled (its the $350 oe seen on ebay, sold by Valaab also). You can pick all 5 filters at each samplerate, however the reviews I've read say they can't hear a difference in filters. Makes me wonder if Wielang is using a copy of the faulty Hifidino code

Regardless the DAC7 board software controlled would be a real nice setup, just wish the usb module did 176.4 kHz.
I think I said I was going to review the code. The volume part always worked. The OSF part worked. The filters, I couldn't tell... but most other people can't tell either :-). Linuxworks stuff is always good. He is a professional coder :-).

Since my wm8741 still in the drawer, no motivation to review...

PS: I think i did test the filters once with my kids (much better HF hearing) and they were able to tell the apodizing and non-apodizing filters apart when playing a high frequency test tone...

Last edited by glt; 5th January 2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 5th January 2013, 06:55 PM   #174
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post
on mine, I asked for a fully unsoldered kit. I don't know what the default kit is. I think you can ask to have the smd parts soldered on but I'm not 100% sure.

the built-price is so close, maybe you should just buy the working version? the parts will be tested, no mistakes should be made and it would be easiest that way. one of mine was built and it also helped me assemble the kits that I also bought.

if you do try to solder the chips, USE LOTS OF FLUX. get a jar of amber color flux and practice on some junk boards with it. flux flux flux. that's really the secret.
Thanks. I think I'll ask for a semi-assembled version with the SMD-parts already soldered. If this is not possible I'll take the easy way .
Old 5th January 2013, 08:11 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

fwiw, I've never been able to tell the diff in the a/b/c filter switch, either

I think that is mostly a non-feature, if you ask me.

now, anti-clip, THAT is worth its weight on gold. with so many outputs not reaching 0 at frequent peaks, the 2db cut-back can really help. I'm not sure I'd even disable it, I hard wired my dacs to always run in anti-clip mode (lift the right pin and let it float and its that easy, when in hardware mode).
Old 12th January 2013, 10:26 PM   #176
diyAudio Member

I have had the DAC 7 for a while now. Was not really impressed. Sound is not bad but also nothing to get excited about.

Today I changed the opamps for the OP627. WOW!

Now it is someting to get excited about! Really very nice.
Old 13th January 2013, 02:29 AM   #177
diyAudio Member

what OA's did you have in there before?

are the 627's running hot?
Old 13th January 2013, 09:33 AM   #178
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Great View Post
I have had the DAC 7 for a while now. Was not really impressed. Sound is not bad but also nothing to get excited about.

Today I changed the opamps for the OP627. WOW!

Now it is someting to get excited about! Really very nice.
yes, upgrade the opamps makes a big difference
Old 13th January 2013, 09:38 AM   #179
diyAudio Member

I bought the DAC from ebay. It has the 2pcs OPA2604.

I measured the temp of the 627's and they do run hot.
Measured 68 degrees (after 5 minutes) with my infrared thermometer.
Did not expect that. Is that normal?
Old 13th January 2013, 09:56 AM   #180
diyAudio Member

yes, opa hot is normal, its power supply works on class A

Hide this!Advertise here!