WEILIANG DAC5 - WM8741 & Tenor TE7022

Kent, I have been trying a different biasing setup for the opa627, and it sounds great. The board came with too low of a resistor on the I/V opamps, had distortion. I replaced it with a 2.3K, and it now has less congested bass, better mids.

I am still waiting for my LME49720HA to come, will try that in the output as you have done.

How is your setup working?

Hi,

I too want to use the minishow0328 TE7022 USB module / board as a standalone USB to S/PDIF interface dev board.

minishow0328 has generally been helpful but hasn't been able to help with my problem - then again the guy's a vendor selling with small margins, there is no reason he should help with such unintended use of the board.

Dr.M, did you have any luck?

Mine is connected, I'm powering by supplying +8V DC to pin 4 (Pins 5&6 are ground; the USB interface goes to pins 1,2,3).

The PC recognises a USB connection but says it is faulty and seems not to have loaded the driver, which is installed on the PC. I'm wondering if this is due to absent signals that would normally come from the DAC mobo?

Only just noticed this, sounds like you got the pin-out for the board as I did and have it linked up just the same. Unfortunately the problem you report is exactly what I found, it would just never pick up the device over USB. I didn't have limitless time since it was for a University project so I resorted to using a somewhat more expensive CM6631 based USB-I2S PCB, which does work beautifully.

I really couldn't fathom what it was preventing the Tenor board communicating over USB and tried connecting wires directly in case breadboard capacitance was an issue but to no avail. All the voltages on board were fine, including the 1.8V the Tenor IC regulates itself. There's no extra input to this board that could make it behave differently as far as I could see. If you ever do get it working I'd be keen to hear, it's potentially a high value respectable quality interface.

DAC 7 Ver 1.1 high sample rate issue

Hi Weiliang,

Recently I bought a DAC 7 ver1.1 and I paired it with hiface 2 (24/192 Async USB to S/PIF). There were some clicking sound while play audio file with sample rate higher than 96khz. I also tried to turn all the switches to ON and play 24/192 source only and I heared no sound at all, but no problem with CD quality.

I had tested the hiface 2 at the repair center with their 24/192 DAC, it seems to work fine.

Is the DAC broken ? Can you please help ?

Thanks,
Alan

---------------------

TE7022L pinouts and basic data are linked from manufacturer's website here:
TE7022L - GFEC

Since my last post by co-incidence within 5 minutes I got another email from minishow0328 [that's an eBay handle by the way and I can vouch he is a very good eBayer with good English].. I now have schematics for the USB interface daughter card. Won't post them here as they are someone else's work -but I think it's fair use to give the CONA pinouts for the daughter board:

_Pin________Funct___
01 USB Vbus
02 USB DM
03 USB DP
04 D8V (8V dc in from DAC)
05 GND
06 GND
07 LRCK2
08 DATA2
09 BCK2
10 SCK2

I assume pins 7 through 10 are the I/\2S interface to the DAC.

The TE7022L SPDIF pins do not go anywhere on this little board except of course for the pads on the IC outline, but it should be possible to connect to them with a couple of bits of kynar wire. So far I haven't done anything about that as getting the USB endpoints established first seems the logical way to proceed.

If anyone else here has tried this, I'd love to know how you got on...

What is the function of the pin 04 (8V in from the DAC), does it set anything?
In other posts with pin information the pin 4 is not connected.

Kent, I have been trying a different biasing setup for the opa627, and it sounds great. The board came with too low of a resistor on the I/V opamps, had distortion. I replaced it with a 2.3K, and it now has less congested bass, better mids.

I am still waiting for my LME49720HA to come, will try that in the output as you have done.

How is your setup working?

i did replaced more components , sound was getting better and better ,until.....

unfortantely, while i tried replaced the wm8741 AVDD regulator(LT1083-T) with a fixed 1083 5v output, i've blow something again, 2 of the pins grew red hot(analogue output) and the unit was dead, AGAIN. so desperate...

i did order a 8740 for trail and error, but it didnt get a coax lock signal, find very struggle to fix it.

brought the es9018 kit from weilang, sound was so good.

May you share which resistor replaced with a 2.3k?

Kent, very sorry to hear about your 8741 troubles, I hope you can get it back again soon.
I have removed the biasing resistors for my opa627, and replaced them with 2.2K resistors directly on the opa627 pins of each op amp. The sound is great now, way better then before, might try 2K resistors, but I like it now.
Next are mundorf AG in power supply main...

Back to DAC5

Back to the post No. 111
Finally had time to do a little work on my DAC5. Courtesy of Mr Weiliang I got a scheme, and immediately saw that WM8741 analog PSU is possible to significantly improve. Original PSU is simplest possible - LM317 with two resistors and two capacitors, nothing less nothing more.

For simplicity I chose to make a PSU with LM7808 and cascading cap. multiplier on output. Everything is located on a small PCB 2x2 cm and were used on both sides of the PCB.
Final capacitor is my favorite capacitor for audio - Styrene. Placed close to the DAC chip.

Their efforts paid off. I recommend to all owners of this DAC that changes the analog PSU for WM8741.

Best diying

Attachments

• WM8741_Analog PSU.jpg
    WM8741_Analog PSU.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 333
  • WM8741_Analog PSU-ACanalysis.jpg
    WM8741_Analog PSU-ACanalysis.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 328
  • WM8741_Analog PSU-Zout.jpg
    WM8741_Analog PSU-Zout.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 311
Back to the post No. 111
Finally had time to do a little work on my DAC5. Courtesy of Mr Weiliang I got a scheme, and immediately saw that WM8741 analog PSU is possible to significantly improve. Original PSU is simplest possible - LM317 with two resistors and two capacitors, nothing less nothing more.

For simplicity I chose to make a PSU with LM7808 and cascading cap. multiplier on output. Everything is located on a small PCB 2x2 cm and were used on both sides of the PCB.
Final capacitor is my favorite capacitor for audio - Styrene. Placed close to the DAC chip.

Their efforts paid off. I recommend to all owners of this DAC that changes the analog PSU for WM8741.

Best diying

Do you set the output to 5 volts?
Is that also on the Vb pin of the connector (pin 1)?

Just answer on some questions received in PMs.
Yes, cap. multiplier fully linearized output characteristics of LM78xx, LM3x7 or LTxxxx voltage regulators.
LM78xx spice model has in "Examples" folder in LTspice. For 8Vout, Rx should be 2.89K.
You can simulate with LT1085-12 also, just for checking.

I use cascade cap. multiplier because it sounds better, for my taste, than single CM.

Best diying.

Kent, very sorry to hear about your 8741 troubles, I hope you can get it back again soon.
I have removed the biasing resistors for my opa627, and replaced them with 2.2K resistors directly on the opa627 pins of each op amp. The sound is great now, way better then before, might try 2K resistors, but I like it now.
Next are mundorf AG in power supply main...

hi phase, how's your modding on the board and was the new mundorf AG going well?
I guess i've completely failed with the old dac5 board which beyond my knowledge to fix it. I am playing with the 9018 kit for months, but i still missed the sound of 8741, probably i may order the dac7 again.

Well the mundorf are sounding good, not sure they were quite worth the expense though.
I have looked at the dac7, definately not a bad choice at all. Aren't they available with some of the components upgraded?
My next move is a low-jitter clock board with its own transformer.
I've heard mixed reviews of the es9012, figured it was probably pretty good sounding.

issue with Weilang card

I have posted some problems about my implementation of the card.

I assume that the I2S is standard and can be used also for interfacing other DACs; such as the standard I2S interface of the Philips family of DAC chips​

• Question: this DAC is not configured specifically for the DAC5 or DAC7?
  • Specifically: meaning a special setting of parameters?

I have: 176 kHz output selected in the MacOS Sound Preferences window; I kept 24 bits (because I can't lower that).
I have no special player (yet, such as Audionirvana).

Please help me with some suggestions as to the source of the problem.

albert

I solved the problems with the 10-pin Weiliang XMOS card used stand-alone. I used the card without the associated DAC output (DAC5 or so) and connected it instead to an older chip, the TDA1543.

It works (right out of the box) but for the moment I can't go higher than 88 KHz - so two times oversampling.

I have finally achieved what I was hoping to with this DAC. The recent addition of the Mundorf caps, and now the Valab clock board for the te7022 board has made a great improvement, am really amazed at the performance vs cost. Now I can sit back and enjoy the music, all of it.

Well the mundorf are sounding good, not sure they were quite worth the expense though.
I have looked at the dac7, definately not a bad choice at all. Aren't they available with some of the components upgraded?
My next move is a low-jitter clock board with its own transformer.
I've heard mixed reviews of the es9012, figured it was probably pretty good sounding.

by reading comments/review by diy-ers, mundorf comes with positive comments, however i haven't got a chance to test these capacitors(running on a budget play)

the dac7 coponents on photo looks promising, maybe adding a seperate power supply board for clock such as LT1963 ... probably get some idea from this: Well the mundorf are sounding good, not sure they were quite worth the expense though.<br /> I have looked at the dac7, definately not a bad choice at all. Aren't they available with some of the components upgraded?<br /> My next move is a low-jitter clock board with its own transformer.<br /> I've heard mixed reviews of the es9012, figured it was probably pretty good sounding.[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> by reading comments/review by diy-ers, mundorf comes with positive comments, however i haven't got a chance to test these capacitors(running on a budget play) the dac7 coponents on photo looks promising, maybe adding a seperate power supply board for clock such as LT1963 ... probably get some idea from this: New Breed of Ultra Low Noise Regulators"]New Breed of Ultra Low Noise Regulators, I haven't seen a zoom in picture of dac7, but those 11 regulators looks a bit interesting to me. I might ask weilang to send a schematic to see how the power supply run, looks like there is improvement on the regulator part.

the difference i found that dac7 only comes with a 7pin add-on card, on his design usually 10pin card comes with I2S, maybe this become an disavantage?

phase, his es9018 kit board really worth a try, the sound is fantastic with this price of money. be caution, he has just launch a newer verison of the kit:eek:

i might just not look back anymore to the wm8741.:D

I struggled with paying the $ for those large caps, but I also knew I didn't want to do it again either. The valab clock board is working out very well also. After a year or so of swapping out parts, I think I'm good.
I'll have to try out the 9018 board the next time I get asked to recommend one for a friend, I really like the old ero caps, looks like something I would do.
Kent; There were no problems with the 6631 board? Or did you use the Xmos board?
I will have to get a picture up here soon.

I struggled with paying the $ for those large caps, but I also knew I didn't want to do it again either. The valab clock board is working out very well also. After a year or so of swapping out parts, I think I'm good.
I'll have to try out the 9018 board the next time I get asked to recommend one for a friend, I really like the old ero caps, looks like something I would do.
Kent; There were no problems with the 6631 board? Or did you use the Xmos board?
I will have to get a picture up here soon.

Yes, you are right, i replaced the old ERO ep(gold one) on omamp power supply, it printed W.Germany:shy:, thought it would be aging for decades, then i replaced with rifa peg124, dynamic is much better, but
then sound become a not so pleasant, change back the ERO ep...

Luckly i don't find any problems es9018 together with 6631a board last 3 months(transplant from old dac5), but i only see 88k shown on display(s/w control). I plan to do the raspyfi and hopefully will work with this daughter card.

Last edited: