Panasonic SL-NP500 PCD Distortion Problem. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2012, 09:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Panasonic SL-NP500 PCD Distortion Problem.

Hi,

Iím trying to resolve a distortion problem with my 1991 Panasonic SL-NP500 Personal Cd Player.

The Distortion occurs in both channels, from HP out and Line Out. Iíve used various headphones and hooked up to two amplifiers but the distortion remains.

The distortion is the same at lower volumes and high volumes and sometimes cuts out on max volume (From headphone out).

From the research Iíve done on this site, and others, points to bad capacitors, however there are no signs of blown or leaking caps. Iíve carefully checked the top and bottom of the board. Iíve also checked the ribbon cable from the laser mechanism and there are no signs of ware. There is no skipping and the laser picks up all tracks on cdís.

With these symptoms are there any obvious capacitors I could replace?

I have no device to check the capacitors.

Iím unfamiliar with these small circuits and capacitors in general, although Iím confident I could replace a few capacitors.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Panasonic SP-NP500_2.jpg

Hide this!Advertise here!