Playstation 1 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2012, 09:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Playstation 1

I just got a Playstation 1 for 1 at a flea market, as far as I'm concerned it's all true, the thing is tremendous.
Old 19th May 2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

But is it "analogue" sounding or rolled off at frequency extremes?
Old 19th May 2012, 10:56 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

In honesty, I'm not sure what anyone means by analogue sounding. All my amps are or have been 300b SET's so I have nothing to compare to other then T-amps which I like very much. I don't know what is meant by "warm" sound, mine just sound accurate to me. As for the frequency extremes, there is no problem there at all. i have an expensive CD player and a modified (a la Lampizator) Marantz, it sounds as good as either of them and considerably better then an Audio Note CD player, complete with tube output stage which did sound rolled off. Just check one out, they can be had for next to nothing.
Old 19th May 2012, 12:35 PM   #4
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

I wish I could find all these consoles cheap, been into retro lately thanks to Angry Video Game Nerd.

Hope I can find the "wrong" Playstation or Saturn or Dreamcast, I'll just mod them and say they sound better than the "right" first Playstation.
Old 19th May 2012, 02:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtingthomas View Post
In honesty, I'm not sure what anyone means by analogue sounding. All my amps are or have been 300b SET's so I have nothing to compare to other then T-amps which I like very much. I don't know what is meant by "warm" sound, mine just sound accurate to me. As for the frequency extremes, there is no problem there at all. i have an expensive CD player and a modified (a la Lampizator) Marantz, it sounds as good as either of them and considerably better then an Audio Note CD player, complete with tube output stage which did sound rolled off. Just check one out, they can be had for next to nothing.
Oh I have got the T-Shirt,trousers and boots! I have mooded several for myself and some for others. I have one modded and two unmodded one's for myself now. At present I prefer my modded Marantz CD63......but next month or the month after......

Playstation as CD-player

Last edited by Puffin; 19th May 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 19th May 2012, 07:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Looking back at the thread I linked to above and to 2008 when I was modding my first
PS1, I see that there was a mod I missed. This was to increase the voltage output in case you were running a passive pre. I use a DIY LDR pre and find the PS1 lacking in output. I carried out the resistor mod today and wished I had found this years ago. I would say that even if you are running an active pre that this is a no-brainer and should at be at the top of your list of mods.

Playstation as CD-player
Old 19th May 2012, 08:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that, mine is a passive pre.
Old 20th May 2012, 05:28 AM   #8
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
But is it "analogue" sounding or rolled off at frequency extremes?
I had one, and did basic mods.

Rolled off extremes are what I thought, all in all pretty unexciting for my tastes.

Some folk like them though.
Old 20th May 2012, 11:24 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by data View Post
I had one, and did basic mods.

Rolled off extremes are what I thought, all in all pretty unexciting for my tastes.

Some folk like them though.
This resistor mod seems to have increased the resolution and sounds like it has more vitality and get up and go. Definitely worth doing. I would also say that there have been many posts over the years about those that have carried out the MickF mods have then put it all back together and found that the laser will not read the disc and it will not spin.

I had this problem at one stage and thought that I had killed it. However the probelm in my case (and this happened again after the resistor mod yesterday!) is that there is a small 4 wire connector (grey & white wires) that connects to the laser/transport assembly. The socket it surface wired and I found that it is prone to the solder points breaking as a result of removing the plug (if you do it more than once). You can check this with the continuity (buzzer) setting on you DMM. If you put one probe on the pins and then the other on the small via holes just up the tracks you can see if one or more has parted company. If they have just put a touch of solder on the corresponding "foot" that you can see poking out from the bottom of the socket. I will try to upload a better pic.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!