Looking for a device: Media Streamer, DAB+ & Internet Radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

After searching the internet for such a device, I have turned to DIYAudio for advice.

Does anyone know of a single component that provides the following features?

- Digital Radio Receiver: DAB+
- Internet Radio
- Audio Streaming over LAN (WiFi or hardwired)
- Digital output

It seems like such an obvious combination of formats/technologies to me, though I'm having trouble locating such a device.

Many thanks,

Tani.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
ROTEL had a beauty, RMG 1520, I think, but was withdrawn here due to DAB+ issues. Cambridge Audio just released a pricey, all-bells and whistles media player, the Stream Magic 6, with all the features. You may need a bigger front panel to fit them in. Nonetheless, digital audio is always changing and varying formats so you would soon run into compatibility problems with media card readers, and software with any choice, Try this lesser one also - Vita AKA Ruark in the UK.

(not released here yet)
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=952

Last edited:
Hi all,

After searching the internet for such a device, I have turned to DIYAudio for advice.

Does anyone know of a single component that provides the following features?

- Digital Radio Receiver: DAB+
- Internet Radio
- Audio Streaming over LAN (WiFi or hardwired)
- Digital output

It seems like such an obvious combination of formats/technologies to me, though I'm having trouble locating such a device.

Many thanks,

Tani.

E.g. Marantz NA7004, it has all requirements listed above plus AM/FM radio, USB inputs (type A for iPod/stick) and type B for laptop/PC (external soundcard) and three SPDIF inputs to function as stand alone DAC. Marantz chose to do hardwired LAN only.

Very similar to the NA7004 is the Denon DNP720AE (underneath I think they're mostly the same and the remote control unit seems to be identical). It doesn't tick all of your boxes, though (no DAB), and it doesn't have SPDIF inputs or USB type B, but it does have wireless LAN and it's cheaper.

Last edited:
Great suggestions, thanks guys.

I think that you are right Ian... formats, encoding and compatibility in general will always change with digital so searching for the perfect device is probably time wasted.

I have also learnt that DAB is not all that I thought it was, in that the compression can be woefully heavy. Considering that full HD footage with surround sound can come in on one digital TV channel, I guess I expected more from a stereo audio transmission. I have more to learn before I decide on a component.

Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.