iec 61883-6 (FireWire Audio) max sample rates and bit depth?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With USB Audio Class 2.0 defining a top of 32-bit @ 384kHz, I was wondering what the limits are for FireWire's audio device spec.

I have a 2-channel headphone amp I want to digitize and I haven't decided USB or FireWire. I just started investigating things. I don't mind writing C and debugging over JTAG if it gets me somewhere good. I like that FW is peer2peer.

Was thinking the Fujitsu MB88395 1394b controller, but I can't find much detailed info on it yet. It would be kinda fun if I plugged my headphone amp into a video camera and suddenly I'm able to hear the mic on it... FW beats UAC2 in that regard.

Looking for more docs on FireWire Audio device development. All pointers welcome

It's been rather difficult to find any info on FireWire. After some source diving into Linux, I found the source file for the Audio and Music Data Transmission Protocol (IEC 61883-6) and looks to allow for 24b@192k

I also found a data sheet on the Oxford Semiconductor evaluation boards for their OXFW970 and OXFW971 Audio peripheral controllers dating back to around 2004. But Oxford seems to have been acquired by PLX and their FireWire stuff is now gone.

Well... My research is done. Looks like FireWire is dead. The new AVB standard is getting all the attention these days. The nice sales person at TC Applied Technologies hipped me to this fact as their DICE products for implementing IEC 61883-6 are going away at the end of this year.

Too bad, nice stuff. FYI: their EVM004 board sells for $750

Last edited:
Whoa.. check this out... You need to have a compatible Ethernet port in your computer to implement AVB (as per 802.1AS for the nanosecond timer). This is getting to be a pain.

Although there is a Broadcom Ethernet controller with AVB support available and one from Marvell and others very soon to follow, and there are AVB compliant switches, and the newest macbooks have this Broadcom chip...

...there currently is no such available PCI(e) network interface card with AVB. I just emailed an expert on this and have it confirmed.

There will probably be a dozen available in a couple months.

I expect there are numerous manufacturers of proaudio gear ready to pull the switch on products as well.

So for me, if Avid will choose to jump from Firewire to AVB (just watch) for their next product line, I know I'll be following.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.