5.1 Dolby Digital DTS pre amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After the success of a couple of Gainclone builds and a cMoy headphone amp, and a good knowledge and experience of Pic microprocessors, I am thinking of building a Dolby digital 5.1 pre amp which will feed GainClone mono blocks.

Now, I know it is not an option to just go and buy a Dobly digital decoding chip and start wiring it up etc. because of licensing etc. and very hard algorithms, but what about using something like this to do the Dolby decoding:

Digital Dolby DTS AC3 Optical to Analog 5.1 Stereo Surround Audio Sound Decoder | eBay

I was thinking that this could be used for the decoding of DTS, AC3 etc. and it also says it can take a stereo signal and output it to a 5.1 analogue output.

It has limited inputs on the unit, but since I will be using a Pic microprocessor to run the amp, I can obviously use relays to switch inputs onto the unit.

Has anyone had any experience with this unit? Also, anyone have any thoughts on this project :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.