Ad8065 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2003, 03:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ad8065

Well, this appears to be prety much the ultimate op-amp (for now) specs are pretty damn impressive. Thought i might order myself a couple of samples and mount them on soic adapters. Firstly has anyone tried em? Opinions? And second - when i ask for samples from AD it says package quantity - 98 ! (and yes it is the right part!) I dont want 98 - i only want 2! Or is it referring to somthnig else. Cheers
Old 7th October 2003, 04:15 PM   #2
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Cool Re: AD8065

Quote:
Originally posted by Rotellian
Well, this appears to be prety much the ultimate op-amp (for now) specs are pretty damn impressive. Thought i might order myself a couple of samples and mount them on soic adapters. Firstly has anyone tried em? Opinions? And second - when i ask for samples from AD it says package quantity - 98 ! (and yes it is the right part!) I dont want 98 - i only want 2! Or is it referring to somthnig else. Cheers

Hi Rotellian,
You will get no more than two free samples from AD.
Packing quantity refers to large orders. You get probably a tube with 98 IC's if you order that many. Is this a 5V supply IC?
Old 7th October 2003, 04:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Nope, 5 to 24v. 7nv voltage noise. 180uv slew rate, 145mhz, and a decent psrr. Only down side is its smd. I want to use it in a rotel bitstream player i have, so i only need 2. I was going to use the AD817, but this appears much better so i guess ill order some and report back.
Old 7th October 2003, 04:54 PM   #4
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

+/- 12V is the absolute maximum rating I do believe. I wouldn't run it that high a voltage. Also, the AD8066 is a dual if that's what you're looking for.
Old 7th October 2003, 05:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Player has 5534 single so the 8065 is what im after. But not sure bout supply range, drat, should have looked more carefully. Mind you lcaudio using them in their new op-amp modules.
Old 7th October 2003, 08:03 PM   #6
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm sure it's a nice chip (although the AD8610/AD8620 still look nicer to me, I have both chips, just haven't tried them yet) but the suply voltages shouldn't be exceeded (normally +/- 15V is what's fed to opamps, although I do believe the 5532 can handle even more voltage, +/- 22V if I'm correct, so beware). You could always make a small PCB with voltage regulators and the opamp on it, solder pins on the bottom in the standard dip package and just use that as a replacement. I could see that being more useful as an opamp replacement than the lcaudio modules, then it could altually be used at the standard opamp voltages, because even +/- 12V would be too close to the max voltages for my liking.
Old 22nd October 2003, 08:13 PM   #7
ppl is offline ppl  United States
diyAudio Member

The AD-8065 and AD-8610 are my present most favored op amps. The AD8610 is smooth and real easy to use its detailed and lotís of Air. I use it quite often in my Buffered output Headphone Amps with the HA-5002 Buffer. The AD8610 has a lot lower DC offset voltage in the same circuit as a OPA-627 and the BB chip is already quite good on DC specs. This Op amp has that Analog devices sound of Punchy and extended bass with greater Punch in the in the Mid-bass than the OPA627. The top octave is apparently more extended on the AD chip vs the BB however that is only my subjective view. I take listening testing as serious as performance testing.

The AD-8065 is another Op Amp I use a lot and this chip is simply amazing if used correctly. If not properly bypassed with two levels of caps this chip will peak in the MHz. range and sound metallic however strangely not harsh or have the grain that other high speed op amps do if misused. If detail is your goal and your source is top notch this Op amp is about as good as it gets for line gain stages have not tried it in I/v stages yet. If using this with a buffer I like the 275 MHz OPA-633 and HA3-5033-5 with chip real smooth and detailed with a wide and consistent sound stage. I highly recommend that you give these Op amps a listen. Another great thing about the AD-8065 is it is low cost and that always helps.
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/...AD8065_6_c.pdf
http://www.lcaudio.dk/com/ad8065.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~goodclose/joann.html The Designers home page
Old 24th October 2003, 05:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Comparison to AD 843

Hi PPL,

You have formerly rated the AD843 higher than these two.
Are you still of that opinion ?

thanks
Old 24th October 2003, 09:48 PM   #9
ppl is offline ppl  United States
diyAudio Member

The AD-843 is still a nice sounding Op Amp. Itís Kind of powerful in the Bass, More so than ether of these op amps. It also has a magical synergy with the now discontinued elantec EL-2009 Buffer. The midrange on the AD-8610 and the AD-8065 is not as washed out as it is on the AD-843. However for those that wish an alternative the the BB OPA-637 the AD-843 is definitely something to look in to and if youíre a bass head the AD843 is the one.

Since the elantec Buffers are no longer available the synergy of the AD843 is not as great and I prefer the refinements of the 8610 and the 8065/66 more now days. Also note that non of these opaís were evaluated on there own all were used with open loop buffers and within the Multi-Loop feedback technique as described by Walt Jung in the September and December issue of EDN. So your mileage may very if used in other arrangements.
Old 5th January 2004, 12:36 PM   #10
Nimeta is offline Nimeta  Estonia
diyAudio Member

does anyone know the information of AD 8061/W4 ? or is it similar to some other Philips speaker?

i would like to build a new box to it

i've got some pictures also:

http://www.zone.ee/75gdn-3-4/bass/
http://www.zone.ee/75gdn-3-4/kast

Hide this!Advertise here!