Sony SCD555ES: Continuous noise during SACD playback - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2012, 09:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sony SCD555ES: Continuous noise during SACD playback

I have a problem with my Sony SCD555ES SACD player.
Red book CD is playing without any problems but during SCAD playback I hear a continuous background noise. It sounds to me as pink noise. It has a constant level and is there all the time and only while the music is playing.
I searched the web for solutions but couldnít find a word about this phenomenon.
Has anyone heard of this problem?

Peter
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:53 AM   #2
sesebe is online now sesebe  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I hear somethig similar when I change the frequecy of reference oscitator for servo. Some times I hear the noise when the other setings of servo systems are altereted.
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Sesebe,

Thank you for the reply!
I have a (paper version of the) service manual of this player. Can you be more specific about which potentiometer you are altering?

Peter
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:35 PM   #4
sesebe is online now sesebe  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I suggest to not touch any potentiometer until you don't know exactly what to do. You need an digital sampling oscilloscope and probably a test CD (somebody use a boot section of commercial CD) to adjust.

You can see there Onkyo C100 servo procesor adjusting that I have a similar problem and nobody know or want to help me.

Another trick is to clean the mechanics and motors with cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol and to lubricate with fine mechanisms oil. This can help and you do not need an oscilloscope for this. I suppose that you already clean the (top) of lens.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I read in the service manual that you can put the player in test mode and that you need special test disks for diagnosis. The tests are split in test for Single Layer, Dual Layer and Hybrid disks. The whole description is rather complex and perhaps itís a better idea to contact a Sony Service Centre.

Peter
Old 4th May 2012, 11:08 AM   #6
nmiljac is offline nmiljac  Germany
diyAudio Member

This may be also a failure in the output filtering part of the player, maybe check it first.
Old 6th May 2012, 04:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

It is a bit of a paradox, IMO. Test mode is strictly for servo self-adjustment, and, in my experience with Sony sacd & dvd players, the machine will simply fail to play at all, either always or sometimes, if the laser for sacd is on it's way out, dirty or out of adjusment. I've never seen any such issue cause playback with noise. On the other hand, the processor for DSD is also the DSP/digital filter for CD, using the same clock for both, so it also seems very unlikely the fault is there. But not a lot else would cause the symptom. I can see a small possibility that the actual dac chips are perhaps not being told to switch to DSD low-pass mode, and are remaining in PCM during sacd play, which I think has a fair possibility of producing the symptom.

Hide this!Advertise here!