CD player sometimes sounds like "stuck LP" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2012, 04:24 AM   #1
HCB is offline HCB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default CD player sometimes sounds like "stuck LP"

I have a Shanling CDP100 which sometimes sounds like a stuck LP, cant think of another way to describe it... It is much more common burned discs, but certainly happens on others. Any ideas as to what might be the cause of such a problem? Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 12:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A weak (old) or missaligned (out of focus) laser could do that. E
Old 1st May 2012, 11:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I have tried cleaning the lens, not really any change. As with so many problems, this is intermittent, but quite frequent enough to cause substantial irritation. I dont really want to send the player off for repairs, am happy to try and install a new laser if need be, or else simply sell it on to someone willing to take on the problem. This is not in my comfort zone.
Old 1st May 2012, 02:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I didn't say it is the laser, just that it could be. Unless it is a very expensive player, the replacement of the laser assembly is not worth it.
There are other mechanisms in a CD player that could cause this problem. See this link: Compact Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 1st May 2012, 03:54 PM   #5
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
If it is the version which uses the Philips cdm12.X mechanism, then cleaning off all the old grease on the drive chain and sliders can sometimes help.
Its a known problem!

Do not regrease though.

Andy.

Old 1st May 2012, 10:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks to both of you for your comments. It is a reasonably expensive unit, but is getting on a bit in terms of age, so could be any number of issues. Simple stuff first is good, so I will clean up as suggested, hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Hide this!Advertise here!