Wadia Holography! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2012, 03:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wadia Holography!

I think the laser in my beloved Wadia WT-2000 is starting to die. it starts skipping when it gets warm. So tonight I grabbed a Denon DVD-3800 to use as a transport and i was SHOCKED at the sonic differences! No mind you I am only using the Denon as a transport. using the SPDIF out to my DAC just as I am doing with the Wadia.

The Wadia has a very 3 dimensional sound quality to it. almost holographic, switching to the Denon it sounded...well...MONO. collapsed sound stage, harsh. But it does present center vocals in a more forward way where as the Wadia has less focus on center vocal images. The difference was just so drastic. I had NO idea that a basic transport could make THAT much of a difference!

ugh....

Zc
Old 27th April 2012, 03:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
If you think it's good using the SPIDF, you should hear it using indexing fluid and the AT&T ST Glass connection if your dac has ST input, it's even better.
And If you by some chance have the WT2000S that is better again. (attached is the difference between the 2000 and 2000S).

Cheers George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wadia WT2000 transport.jpg (47.7 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg Wadia WT2000S transport.jpg (114.3 KB, 279 views)
Old 27th April 2012, 04:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I do have ST glass on my DAC but I need to pick up a ST cable... I don't think mine is an S version.
Old 27th April 2012, 05:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I has these orange ones or similar, the specs were almost double as fast as the Wadia supplied glass one, and I thought they sounded a bit better.
Fiber Optic Cable Multimode Simplex 62.5/125 ST-ST 1M | eBay

Indexing fluid is a must, expensive for a few drops but worth it, a little dab on the ends before you put them in is all you need, until you remove them again.
9006 - Norland Index Matching Liquid 150 - 6 gram syringe - Fiber Optics For Sale Co.

Cheers George
Old 27th April 2012, 01:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks for the links/tips, I ordered one of those ST cables. not sure I will order the indexing fluid, guess if i can get my 2000 fixed I will buy it then. for now. not sure what it's future will be! It may be resigned to sit on the shelf...shame

Zc
Old 27th April 2012, 10:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just hunt down a new laser for it ( Sony KSS-151A), they are out there, I found two, in the first manufacturer I tried, rather than search the usual laser suppliers I looked at all the different manufacturers that used the KSS-151A in some of there models.
I found mine in the parts division of Denon Australia you should find out what their part # was for the KSS-151A before harassing them with the Sony # To do that look at some circuit diagrams that used the KSS-151A and you'll find that manufacturers Part # of the same thing.
I bet there are hundreds still in the corners in spare parts division if I found 2 in the first place I tried. And I only paid $79 each for them, which was the price back then.

Cheers George
Old 27th April 2012, 11:26 PM   #7
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
The difference was just so drastic. I had NO idea that a basic transport could make THAT much of a difference!

ugh....

Zc

Then why'd you pay for a Wadia? :P
Old 28th April 2012, 01:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
Then why'd you pay for a Wadia? :P

For all the other good things AT&T ST glass, BNC, + other outputs. The way they have isolated the transport offboard power supply using big Toroidals, goood quality clocks/electronics used from Teac moded to suit themselves eg AT&T output. And upper end Teac VRDS mechs. It all adds up to sound better than the Teac equivelent.

Cheers George
Old 28th April 2012, 02:19 AM   #9
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehifi View Post
For all the other good things AT&T ST glass, BNC, + other outputs. The way they have isolated the transport offboard power supply using big Toroidals, goood quality clocks/electronics used from Teac moded to suit themselves eg AT&T output. And upper end Teac VRDS mechs. It all adds up to sound better than the Teac equivelent.

Cheers George
I'm just ribbin' yah- it's nice to have our expenditures validated sometimes
Old 28th April 2012, 04:08 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The WT-2000 is the Wadia I always wanted but never could afford. Last year I was able to purchase one at a reasonable price but it is well used. I didn't expect it would last long and frankly I was surprised it would even play CD-R discs! So to me, it is worth fixing beyond what it is actually worth!

Hide this!Advertise here!