MP3 etc over dial-up vs ADSL. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2012, 05:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default MP3 etc over dial-up vs ADSL.

Whenever technology takes a leap forward e.g. vinyl to CD, the golden eared brigade eagerly jumps on this new stuff that no-one else has yet got and proclaims it to be wonderful. Then later on when all the grubby masses also have a CD player, the golden eared crowd jump back to vinyl because hardly anyone has it any more and claims it is so much better than CD. To my my mind it's simply a matter of being elitist in having something most people don't have and therefore it demonstrates that they are clearly superior in appreciation and knowledge of the finer things in life.

Sooo... now that dial-up internet has gone pretty well the way of the dinosaur, is there a group of likeminded people that claim that a sound file downloaded via a dial-up connection sounds superior to one that comes via ADSL or similar broadband connection? I'm sure there's gotta be someone somewhere ;-)
Old 26th April 2012, 05:57 AM   #2
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, I know I appreciated downloaded music much more when it took an entire weekend of leeching to get enough tunes or mixes to fill a CDROM. And paying high prices for new or used CDs wasn't such a distant memory. (I bought 12 CDs yesterday from Value Village for $1.99 each.)

Speaking of the past, check out the Analog CyberPunk page for wonderful early electronic post-punk. I recognize a number of tracks that I have on vinyl, and several groups I saw live (and took photos or made bootleg recordings of).

Last edited by dangus; 26th April 2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 26th April 2012, 06:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
I want to come up with some kind of a tube-based buffer for my internet connection. Perhaps in the ethernet connection between the cable modem,and router.Seems like the easiest spot.

There's no reason for it,other than to say I have glass in my data stream.
Old 26th April 2012, 07:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'll bet a magic power cord for your modem will make those files sound better too.

Hide this!Advertise here!