KSS-190A (Sony 557ESD/707ESD) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2012, 09:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy KSS-190A (Sony 557ESD/707ESD)

Hello all!

I bought a Sony 557ESD (707ESD) with the optical unit broken (I'll receive the player the following days). Not only that the laser is dead, the one who sold it to me also tried to fix it by turning the laser's power potentiometer.

I was thinking of fixing the current laser by changing only the diode... I found some Sharp LT022MC laser diode for sell...
Regarding the lasers' settings I read that it can be calibrated using a special CD and an oscilloscope. Can anyone give me some advice?

Did anyone around here manage to complete this laser diode switch operation successfully?

And for a simple fix, is there by any chance someone on this forum that has a optical unit for sale?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by Netcrusher; 1st May 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 1st May 2012, 12:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nobody?
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:00 PM   #3
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Please see this thread it has a collation of info on this subject. Unfortunately I doubt you will find a working KSS190A and I have never heard of anyone successfully replacing just the diode in an optic.

If you do manage it please report back as I am sure there are many DIY members who would be keen to hear how.

All Diyaudio Threads about not available Optical Pickup's from Sony's KSS-Series
Old 30th June 2012, 08:31 PM   #4
kaosun is offline kaosun  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the experience that replacing the laser diode of an optic.
See my thread here:
An example: the repair of TOSHIBA XR-P21 vintage cd player.
Old 13th April 2014, 09:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netcrusher View Post
Hello all!

I bought a Sony 557ESD (707ESD) with the optical unit broken (I'll receive the player the following days). Not only that the laser is dead, the one who sold it to me also tried to fix it by turning the laser's power potentiometer.

I was thinking of fixing the current laser by changing only the diode... I found some Sharp LT022MC laser diode for sell...
Regarding the lasers' settings I read that it can be calibrated using a special CD and an oscilloscope. Can anyone give me some advice?

Did anyone around here manage to complete this laser diode switch operation successfully?

And for a simple fix, is there by any chance someone on this forum that has a optical unit for sale?

Thank you very much!
check out this offers at ebay:
analogandever | eBay
e. g.
Original Sony Ultra RARE KSS 190 A Laser Head Sony Accuphase Our Last 5 Pieces | eBay

if the URLs don't goes open, check out at www.ebay.com the member name
" analogandever "
and check his NOS offers.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 13th April 2014 at 09:28 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!