TDA1541A "piggybacking" on analog metric pcb? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2012, 07:34 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Thanks! These boards are inspired by diyaudio and Russian enthusiasts and their designs. With my "CRCRCRCRC always wins" thing

It's just a single DAC board. I'll try to use it in different configurations
- feeding it with regular I2S
- parallel (simultaneous) I2S to lower the feed frequency and to be able to try 8x oversampling with different digital filters.
- go "ballanced" with single IC per channel - so every single TDA will output bipolar single channel. This way it will cancel odd harmonics as well as irregularities in PSU and DEM. Given i use same IC for "+" and "-" signals, these signals should match properly as they share the same silicon. I'll try both I2S formats too as long as i'll get free space in CPLD i use.

It will require a digital frontend which i didn't yet designed... I'll throw a CPLD for the "software" work - inverting, format conversions, SPDIF sync/async management and other things. I hope my "wannabees" will fit in the CPLD i choose .
Old 15th May 2012, 08:10 PM   #22
Mayday is offline Mayday  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3tup View Post
Thanks! These boards are inspired by diyaudio and Russian enthusiasts and their designs. With my "CRCRCRCRC always wins" thing

It's just a single DAC board. I'll try to use it in different configurations
- feeding it with regular I2S
- parallel (simultaneous) I2S to lower the feed frequency and to be able to try 8x oversampling with different digital filters.
- go "ballanced" with single IC per channel - so every single TDA will output bipolar single channel. This way it will cancel odd harmonics as well as irregularities in PSU and DEM. Given i use same IC for "+" and "-" signals, these signals should match properly as they share the same silicon. I'll try both I2S formats too as long as i'll get free space in CPLD i use.

It will require a digital frontend which i didn't yet designed... I'll throw a CPLD for the "software" work - inverting, format conversions, SPDIF sync/async management and other things. I hope my "wannabees" will fit in the CPLD i choose .
I haven't decided on any digital frontend yet. The plan is to get 2-4 TDA's working together in the best possible way.

Looking at the DIR9001 reciever and hopefully I'll find a replacement for the SAA7220 as I would like to keep the oversampling.

I've got a ton of reading to do for this project so it is very long term.

I would like to be able to fit the Dacs, reciever and filter on a 100x160mm PCB if possible.

Clock, I/V etc will be separate boards to keep my options open.

I'll look at your site often to see how your project is comming along
Old 15th May 2012, 08:45 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

There is a good DF, compatible with 1541 in 4x mode - CXD1244, CXD1144. Hard to find, but they are much better than 7220. They require 384Fs MCLK - a bit painful in general (for 256Fs guys), but pretty OK for you as DIR9001 supports it.

I won't turn my nose off 7220, but i'll try ASRC as an option of avoiding 7220 altogether. In general, ASRCs in upsampling mode do the same things as 7220. I've read somewhere that ASRCs are on par with DF1700 in their sonic performance - it means they ain't that bad

Last edited by s3tup; 15th May 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 16th May 2012, 07:36 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3tup View Post
There is a good DF, compatible with 1541 in 4x mode - CXD1244, CXD1144. Hard to find, but they are much better than 7220. They require 384Fs MCLK - a bit painful in general (for 256Fs guys), but pretty OK for you as DIR9001 supports it.

I won't turn my nose off 7220, but i'll try ASRC as an option of avoiding 7220 altogether. In general, ASRCs in upsampling mode do the same things as 7220. I've read somewhere that ASRCs are on par with DF1700 in their sonic performance - it means they ain't that bad
Thanks!
Found datasheet for one of them, the CXD1244.
ASRC? Sounds interesting...please educate me on that

I use the SAA7220 in my version of the analog metric dac(for now) it sounds great, but then I haven't heard it without the 7220.
Old 18th May 2012, 04:17 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Got the datasheet for CXD1144 too now
Which of the 1144/1244 is the better?
Admitedly I haven't read any of the datasheets yet...
Old 19th May 2012, 06:31 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Anyone that has or know where I can find a good schematic for an ASRC that would work with 4xTDA1541A either in balanced or balanced + parallell congfiguration?
Old 20th May 2012, 12:57 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Well I've made devices in eagle for DIR9001 and AD1896, so the project is not at a complete standstill...
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th May 2012, 02:33 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Made the device for CXD1244 too:
Old 20th May 2012, 04:00 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Why are you wasting time chasing relics like the CXD parts? Read the datasheets. The max BCLK rate is 2.1 MHz. That implies a 48-bit frame, which is confirmed by counting clocks in the timing diagram. The DIR9001 outputs a 64-bit frame.

If you really want to play with first-generation digital audio, just buy an old CD player with CXD filters and piggyback more TDAs.
Old 20th May 2012, 04:09 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

There are DIR9001 adaptor boards that's supposed to be plug n play replacements for cs8412/14. They are supposed to work with saa7220/tda1541.
So I imagine one could make dir9001->cxd1244(or AD1896)->tda1541 work?
The tda1541 might be old, but I like the way it sounds.

Hide this!Advertise here!