question on dac power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

What will happen depends on the actual current draw of the DAC,
not the specified current rating of the supply, and how the supplies
are current rated in the first place, and how they are protected.

Supplies with overcurrent protection will shut down the output,
other supplies may simply get hotter, generally its hard to say.

FWIW though I'd expect the actual current draw of the DAC
to be far less than 1.7A and the 1.2A supply to work fine.
There is no reason the lower rating would damage the DAC.

rgds, sreten.

hi,

well i am changing the supply from a switch mode to a linear regulated one. Should this yield an improvement? I just got hold of a cheap linear one just to see if there is a difference. If so I would consider getting an even better linear supply.

Unfortunately, the words, hifi - power supply - cheap, usually don't mix well. First, I would place a D.C. voltemeter on that new 15V supply while it is powering your DAC to verify that it does indeed supply at least 15V under that condition. Even so, you may be better off with the original switching supply unless you are willing to invest some serious effort or money on a top quality linear supply.

BTW, switching regulators are not necessarily contrary to good hifi. Linn has used them for many years now. It depends on how well filtered the output of that supply is across a very broad band of frequencies, which extend in to the RF region.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.