Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2012, 07:17 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Hi Ryssen, Yes the Sheldon Stokes dac uses 1K resistors in series on + and - dac output to the transformer. Did you try the zoebel? The resistor and capacitor from the datasheet across the output winding? My dac was very hard sounding at first. After many hours it did improve. I'm very happy with it now. The details are better since rewiring the attenuator in my preamp. Dave
Old 10th August 2012, 08:10 PM   #82
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Did you try the zoebel? The resistor and capacitor from the datasheet across the output winding?
No,maybe I should try them..
Old 10th August 2012, 11:00 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

Hi Ryssen, I have done some listening test comparing my Mark II TDA1541A dac with the Edcors and the CS4398 dac with the Lundahls. Both are very good. The TDA is very detailed and musical. The 4398 is very lush and rich sounding with more impact in the bass. I like each dac very much, just to hard to pick a winner. It's down to preference or mood. Both are keepers.... Let me know what you think on the zoebel, also they like a load resistor on the secondary around 40K Ohm. See the datasheet. Regards, Dave
Old 12th August 2012, 09:41 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Let me know what you think on the zoebel, also they like a load resistor on the secondary around 40K Ohm. See the datasheet.
Ok,I will have to order the components,so might take a day or three
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:01 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

I have been listening for a couple of hours with the resistors and the cap soldered.And I can´t say that it sounds any better than without them,so I will probably not use them. The LL1690 still sounds 5 times better than the LL1540.Did you try with and without them?

Hope mayday don´t mind whe are using his thread.
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:03 AM   #86
Mayday is offline Mayday  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Feel free to post here
I read now and then but I don't really have the time or energy to diy atm.
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:32 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

Hi Ryssen, Sorry for my late reply. On my DAC I listened without the zoebel and found the sound to have a hard edge. With the cap and resistor that hard sound was less bothersome. I'm not sure if it was a break in issue? I now have 100's of hours on my DAC. I think the LL1690 takes a long time to settle in. Just be careful not to have any DC offset across it. Permalloy can become a magnet. With a CS4398 there is practically no offset to speak of. Now that you have some hours on your DAC. Do you feel it is improving? Dave
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:35 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

Hi Mayday, Did you like the picture of my case I sent you? I may start the install of the Mark II board this week....
Old 2nd September 2012, 05:34 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchwood421 View Post
Hi Ryssen, Sorry for my late reply. On my DAC I listened without the zoebel and found the sound to have a hard edge. With the cap and resistor that hard sound was less bothersome. I'm not sure if it was a break in issue? I now have 100's of hours on my DAC. I think the LL1690 takes a long time to settle in. Just be careful not to have any DC offset across it. Permalloy can become a magnet. With a CS4398 there is practically no offset to speak of. Now that you have some hours on your DAC. Do you feel it is improving? Dave
It´s hard to say,maybe they have gotten softer (In a good way) especialy in the highs.
Old 2nd September 2012, 08:00 PM   #90
Mayday is offline Mayday  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchwood421 View Post
Hi Mayday, Did you like the picture of my case I sent you? I may start the install of the Mark II board this week....
Yeah, got it. Nice!
I'll answer your mail tomorrow, it's been a bit hectic lately my friend.

Hide this!Advertise here!