MayDus, PCM2706/CS4398 USB DAC w Transformer output. - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2012, 11:22 PM   #71
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll eventually pick up the 2.5W units but will have to find someone else to do the work as can't see very well plus only slung solder in tube stuff.

there may be some flavors to different iron. I've hooked up a $10 (at the time) Belkin in-wall transformer to regular CD player as volume control - for frequency response, it measured very well even down to its maximum attenuation but its contribution (very pleasant - not sure how hard on opamp) could be heard on a little Karlson which was loaded with Beta 8cx and APT50 on a tenor with guitar CD. Likewise, a Promitheus TVC's harmonics can be heard in A-B comparison on a horn system - oddly that seemed to make the 3 drivers and funky Klipschorn style crossover blend more cohesively.
Old 20th July 2012, 10:04 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Hi Ryssen, Did some experiments with my CS4398, LL1690 dac. I found some improvement by going to shorter length cables with lower capacitance. The "details" are better. I think it is worth trying several different cable. It seems you can "tune" the dac somewhat. My best results was with a homemade cable made from a double run of RG179U (If memory serves). That has Teflon insulation Silver wires and a FEP jacket.
Old 20th July 2012, 10:14 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Hi freddi, I use one of those flourescent lighted work lamps with a magnifying glass in the center. Makes working on things much easier. I am very far sighted now that I hit 50. Can see street signs and read them from great distance, just don't see well up close. I will be putting my Edcor 2.5 watt transformers into a bud box with a shield between them. Trying to protect from ac line noise etcetera. Stray magnetic fields. The Edcors don't have the MU metal that Lundahls have. I do prefer transformers over opamps or capacitors in dac's.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:12 PM   #74
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchwood421 View Post
Hi Ryssen, Did some experiments with my CS4398, LL1690 dac. I found some improvement by going to shorter length cables with lower capacitance. The "details" are better. I think it is worth trying several different cable. It seems you can "tune" the dac somewhat. My best results was with a homemade cable made from a double run of RG179U (If memory serves). That has Teflon insulation Silver wires and a FEP jacket.
When the hollidays is over in about a week I can order mine LL1690 from Lundahl and start listening.
Old 21st July 2012, 01:46 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

Hi Ryssen, Let me know how it sounds to you. I'm interested in your opinion. Regards, Dave
Old 21st July 2012, 08:59 AM   #76
diyAudio Member

I will.
Old 4th August 2012, 07:24 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Hi Ryssen, Did you try the LL1690? I have made a few experiments. Made a few changes to my home built preamp. I replaced the wires to my 50K 23 step Chinese attenuator. Also tried an Alps blue conductive plastic potentiometer. Big difference in sound quality. Still prefer the attenuator. The heavier wire helped bass response. I will be giving the CS4398 and LL1690 another listen this week. Dave
Old 4th August 2012, 07:33 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

I ordered in the beginning of this week,hopefully I´ll get in on monday.
Old 8th August 2012, 02:18 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

I got the trafos today will install them this evening.
Old 8th August 2012, 07:31 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

Been listening for about an hour now and the first difference from LL1540 is that it sounds harder maybee more dynamic.
Dave do you use a resistor between the DAC chip and LL1690?

Hide this!Advertise here!