MayDus, PCM2706/CS4398 USB DAC w Transformer output. - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2012, 03:06 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Hi freddi, Just Googled that Banzai CMOY. A nice portable headphone amp. Not sure on that JRC opamp. I have heard the JRC4558. Not impressed with that one maybe the 4560 is better? The headphone amp I built is not portable. It needs a good power supply. Current hungry with the Buff03. If you Google Buff03 you will see a Headwise project using that chip. I was inspired to build my version based on that one. I wanted some gain so put the AD8065 in there. It beats my cousins Cary90 tube preamp when used as a preamp in a head to head test.
Old 10th July 2012, 04:38 PM   #62
Mayday is offline Mayday  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I like the cs4398 with edcor's.
Granted I've only tried it with my Lehmann BCL clone and goldring dr-150 headphones.
Detailed, dynamic, good all around. Especially considering the cost. I like my TDA1541A dac better, but that is a much more expensive build.
I opted for the bigger edcor's as there wasn't much of a price difference.
Writing from my cellphone so I'll keep this post short.
Old 11th July 2012, 04:56 AM   #63
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

might the ~$32 Jensen sound better/worse or just different in a CS4398 situation? are there DAC which give better overall result with transformers than 4398?

here's a picture of the little DAC I picked up - (is that board recognizable?) its dead quiet with
the outboard SMPS - maker suggested it could sound better with a battery
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th July 2012, 02:41 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Hi freddi, Wow. That's a tough question. I have heard the Lundahl LL1690 on a CS4398 dac. As another contributor mentioned it may be that the CS4398 is just a laid back sounding dac. My Sheldon Stokes dac is quite good. CS8416, CS8421 and CS4398 as I recall. My cousins CS4397 based dac with WSM Edcors is really quite nice. Comes closer to a well implemented R2R or TDA1541A sound (when done right). I could easily live with his dac if I had to. I have read good things about the Jensen transformers. Some have stated they sound better then Edcors. I have never had the chance to do a comparison. I think it depends on turns ratios and impedence when comparing transformers. I like the Edcors for what they are, low cost, good core material and they perform well without any odd zoebel networks across the secondary to kill ringing. My Lundahl LL1690's had advanced permalloy plates and required an anti-ringing filter. Ringing was clearly audible without the zoebel. A zoebel is a resistor and capacitor in series across the secondary winding. So it is possible that the Jensen could be better on your dac then the Edcor. As I mentioned before I have had very good results with a current out dac using an AD844 (Pedja designed) I/V stage and running that into the Edcor transformer. So in that case the transformer is still used as a voltage device. Your dac? Most CS4398 dacs are all using a datasheet implementation. I don't remember seeing this one however it should be similar to the others out there. Agreed battery power should be the best power source. It's also a very good sign that the dac is designed well if it is so quiet on a SMPS supply. Earlier I gave you a link to the long transformer thread, I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask a question there and see if anyone chimes in on the various transformers. Tamuras, Cinemag, Edcor, Jensen and many others have been tested on that thread. Sadly it is hard to compare without a reference. Everyone will have a differing opinion. Having said that the Jensen is a good choice for your project. $32 is not a bank breaking cost. If you try that let us know what you think.
Old 13th July 2012, 02:57 PM   #65
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have heard the Lundahl LL1690 on a CS4398 dac
What did you think of that combination?
Old 13th July 2012, 03:23 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Hi Ryssen, The LL1690's seem to be very good and also very expensive. The dac is very musical and I think the term is "lush" sounding. Really outstanding with stringed instruments and electric guitars. The dac at first, had a hard edge to the sound. With the datasheet recomended capacitor and resistor across the secondary it becomes very analog like. Voices sound real. I think it also takes 50-100 Hours to really open up. Permalloy? Degaussing? My comments about the details maybe due to my reference being a version of the TDA1541A dac. CS4398 dacs with opamps I found to be somewhat disappointing. The transformers really make a difference for the better. Unfortunately I have not tried a different set of transformers. Maybe a good experiment to try in the future? What is your experience with the CS4398? Did you try transformer output?
Old 13th July 2012, 04:33 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Right now Im using a pair of LL1540 and it has the laidback top,but otherwise I think it sounds allright.I ordered me a pair of LL1690 wich Im hoping will sound better at the top,and I will use the resistor at the secondery.
Old 13th July 2012, 09:38 PM   #68
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

the builder of my little 4398 dac thinks 1/4 watt Edcor is big enough iron - what's your opinions?
Old 14th July 2012, 07:42 AM   #69
mikvous is offline mikvous  Greece
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried direct capacitor outpout with cs4398?
Old 14th July 2012, 08:53 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the builder of my little 4398 dac thinks 1/4 watt Edcor is big enough iron - what's your opinions?
I think the price difference between the trafos is so smal so you might as well get the big one.

Quote:
Has anyone tried direct capacitor outpout with cs4398?
I tried it on AK4396 but it sounds better with a trafo,the cap is not so clear sounding.

Last edited by Ryssen; 14th July 2012 at 08:55 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!