MayDus, PCM2706/CS4398 USB DAC w Transformer output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ryssen, Yes the Sheldon Stokes dac uses 1K resistors in series on + and - dac output to the transformer. Did you try the zoebel? The resistor and capacitor from the datasheet across the output winding? My dac was very hard sounding at first. After many hours it did improve. I'm very happy with it now. The details are better since rewiring the attenuator in my preamp. :) Dave

Hi Ryssen, I have done some listening test comparing my Mark II TDA1541A dac with the Edcors and the CS4398 dac with the Lundahls. Both are very good. The TDA is very detailed and musical. The 4398 is very lush and rich sounding with more impact in the bass. I like each dac very much, just to hard to pick a winner. It's down to preference or mood. :) Both are keepers.... Let me know what you think on the zoebel, also they like a load resistor on the secondary around 40K Ohm. See the datasheet. Regards, Dave

I have been listening for a couple of hours with the resistors and the cap soldered.And I can´t say that it sounds any better than without them,so I will probably not use them. The LL1690 still sounds 5 times better than the LL1540.Did you try with and without them?

Hope mayday don´t mind whe are using his thread. :)

Hi Ryssen, Sorry for my late reply. On my DAC I listened without the zoebel and found the sound to have a hard edge. With the cap and resistor that hard sound was less bothersome. I'm not sure if it was a break in issue? I now have 100's of hours on my DAC. :) I think the LL1690 takes a long time to settle in. Just be careful not to have any DC offset across it. Permalloy can become a magnet. With a CS4398 there is practically no offset to speak of. Now that you have some hours on your DAC. Do you feel it is improving? Dave

Hi Ryssen, Sorry for my late reply. On my DAC I listened without the zoebel and found the sound to have a hard edge. With the cap and resistor that hard sound was less bothersome. I'm not sure if it was a break in issue? I now have 100's of hours on my DAC. :) I think the LL1690 takes a long time to settle in. Just be careful not to have any DC offset across it. Permalloy can become a magnet. With a CS4398 there is practically no offset to speak of. Now that you have some hours on your DAC. Do you feel it is improving? Dave

It´s hard to say,maybe they have gotten softer (In a good way) especialy in the highs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.