Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2002, 10:48 PM   #21
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm actually just about to build myself a DIY USB sound device. I'm only waiting for a few parts coming in the mail. I couldn't really find any simmilar projects online so it's just something I thought up (so someone could obviously make a better one, for one of my goals was to make a cheap one on a budget). If you want I can tell you how it goes. Although for cost reasons as well as to keep it simpler I'm going with an output only device, there are no analog (or digital) inputs, nor is there a digital out.
Old 6th February 2002, 01:57 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Which DAC chip are you going to use? I am interested in hearing about the results.
Old 6th February 2002, 02:11 AM   #23
arnach is offline arnach  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to arnach
Default Computer Audio

Computer audio is a mixed bag.

I have a Silicon Graphics workstation with a dedicated board atop the motherboard for digital I/O, and four channel analog in, and another one with ADAT ins and outs.

I use an original model Camelot Arthur DAC connected to this and the sound quality is quite good. However, with most 128 kb/s MP3s the sound is still quite bright, and also, many MP3s are not recorded by "professional" standards.. many are heard to clip at high volumes, obviously all not `ripped' in the digital domain.

I listented to 50 MP3s in a night and the only one which sounded quite good was a 320kb/s Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit. So there is hope.

And that flyback ringing drives me crazy!

-- Aaron
Old 6th February 2002, 02:38 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

The encoder has the most affect on overall sound quality. Make sure you are using the latest codecs when making your own MP3's... I have found that a certain fraunhofer (sp?) 190kb/s sounds better than 320kb/s ones made with inferior codecs (many of which are still freely available for download).

Most downloaded MP3's are crap but with the right encoder you can make your own MP3's sound better than others at less bitrates -- although I don't recommend anything under 190, and don't use "joint" stereo if possible.
Old 6th February 2002, 04:25 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default scope the output.

Believe it or not, there are several common drivers out there that actually brick wall freq. response at about 13K. (I know of one even in a $1,500 card!). The card and codec are not the problem in these cases - it is the drivers passing bad instructions to the machine. I suspect that a.) was done for a processing reason since b.) the vast majority of people would not even know what they are missing. I know that some codecs are really prone to ringing if you leave the high freq as normal. But before you start ripping, you might want to check.
Old 6th February 2002, 04:33 PM   #26
dc is offline dc
diyAudio Member

Default .ogg Vorbis

What about the quality of .ogg files? How do these compare to well-ripped MP3's? The website says that this format is created for professionals, and there's a plug-in for Media Jukebox.

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/
Old 6th February 2002, 10:14 PM   #27
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

Actually, I'm going to use both a PCM2702 (Burr-Brown), which is 16bit but has good SNR and THD specs, as well as a secound box made with the UDA1321 (Phillips), which is a higher bit DAC but doesn't have as good specs as the BB product. I'll give them a try, but since mp3's and ogg are going to be my primary source of music the 16bit DAC on the PCM2702 probably won't be a problem.

I considered going with a USB interface device and a seperate DAC, but well this is alot simplier and I don't have to mess with 48 pin surface mount parts...
Old 6th February 2002, 10:39 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Re: scope the output.

Is it the driver or the card doing this?

My friend bought a new Dell and when I plugged it into a good stereo system the high end was completely missing. Sounded like it was playing at 32KHz sampling rate, all the time (from games, MP3, CD's, anything). The lack of treble is also noticable on the $5 speakers the computer came with. I have yet to check the drivers and the type of sound board it is using but as soon as I do I will post. Also, the bass and treble controls in the audio mixer are "dimmed" and unadjustable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawzall
Believe it or not, there are several common drivers out there that actually brick wall freq. response at about 13K. (I know of one even in a $1,500 card!). The card and codec are not the problem in these cases - it is the drivers passing bad instructions to the machine. I suspect that a.) was done for a processing reason since b.) the vast majority of people would not even know what they are missing. I know that some codecs are really prone to ringing if you leave the high freq as normal. But before you start ripping, you might want to check.
Old 8th February 2002, 05:19 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

does anyone have any sp/dif soundcard recommendations? I can't figure out if some do D/A A/D conversion or not...
Old 8th February 2002, 06:05 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Check out the earlier posts in this thread. There are several good recommendations. Stay away from the SBlive! if you want to avoid unneccesary DA/AD conversion going on around the analog mixer section of the card.

Hide this!Advertise here!