DAC upgrade, worth changing opamps to? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2012, 05:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DAC upgrade, worth changing opamps to?

hi everyone, i have an Original CD2008 MKII and have built the AMB DAC (Gamma 2) which is gorgeous, is it worth upgrading the opamps in the CD player as well (really simple and modular insides to the player) or does the DAC completely bypass all opamps in the CD player, and is it not really worth it.

thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 10:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you connect via SPDIF the two, the signal stays in digital form. So there is no need to upgrade the OpAmps (analog path) in the CD player.
if you want to compare the two DAC's (internal of CD2008 and the external one, than it would be good to change the OpAmps inside the CD player. But truthfully, that CD2008 has already decent OpAmps. And what's more interesting, it has two separated DAC's - one for CD (Burr Brown PCM 1792), another one for HDCD (Burr-Brown PCM1732). With OPA604 and OPA2143 OpAmps.
Your DAC has Wolfson WM8741, WM8742 or WM8740 DAC cips with AD8656 OpAmps (CMOS).
So it is really a tight race...

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 11th April 2012 at 10:45 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!