Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2012, 05:56 AM   #1
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wanted FLAC player with spdif out

Does anyone know of a product or kit that can output spdif and play lossless files. It has to be able to work on it's own so a computer will not work. Any ideas?
Old 5th April 2012, 06:18 AM   #2
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

The usual suspects: Logitech Squeezebox. Sonos. Olive.

I think most of them require a server to run, but I know that the Squeezebox Touch can read the data from a USB stick, thus, does not require a stand-alone server.

~Tom
Old 5th April 2012, 06:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Aune Audio in China make such devices. See auneaudio.com. They have a good reputation but seem a bit pricy. A number of the Chinese web-based sellars should stock them.
Old 5th April 2012, 07:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The Aune S1 seems a good candidate. I still use Hifidelio/Olive products as they are a challenge to mod (but they give good results when modded).

Too bad the S1 can not contain a harddisk internally. IMO a drawback otherwise I would already have one ! Diyaudio member Anadigit sells lossless players with touch screen. I wanted to order one but the Aune S1 recently came on the market.
Old 5th April 2012, 12:09 PM   #5
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

How about Oppo BDP series ? It's a universal player, great sound but pricey.
Old 5th April 2012, 12:36 PM   #6

Optical devices against hardisk based devices = no competition....
Old 5th April 2012, 12:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Take a look at the cheap media players, for example ACRyan. They can do this without breaking a sweat, do not require a PC to work and can have a large harddisk. And if you want you can hookup an external CD-ROM drive.

http://www.acryan.com/

And there are many more out there!
Old 5th April 2012, 01:02 PM   #8

Cheap means lots of jitter + the need for a TV to play audio as they are meant for video. You will get a low quality DAC and output stage as a gift. For God's sake, needing a TV for playing audio ! It is like the need for having a train when you want to drive your car.

Again no competition for dedicated audioplayers with harddisks. That is if one wants no or little concessions in audioquality...

Many of the audio guys I know gave up hope and use noisy computers and PC screens for the same purpose: convenience ("we already have a pc") and low cost.

Too bad, quality and/or the taste for quality are both becoming extinct (while it does not need to be expensive at all).

Last edited by jean-paul; 5th April 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 5th April 2012, 01:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Cheap means lots of jitter + the need for a TV to play audio. For God's sake, a TV for playing audio ! It is like the need for having a train when you want to drive your car.

Again no competition for dedicated audioplayers. That is if one wants no concessions in quality...

Many of the audio guys I know gave up hope and use noisy computers and PC screens for the same purpose: convenience and low cost.

Too bad, quality and/or the taste for quality are both becoming extinct.
Well I agree with you partially, you do need a TV to controll it but not for the audio, just use the SP/DIF or HDMI output for that.

I also agree that a dedicated audio player can and should be superior but then there is also the convinience of having a large database at your fingertips...

Jitter can be an issue but this also depends on how for exmple your DAC handles this, from personal experience I would be more concerned with the acoustics of the room than with jitter issues.

Just my 2C!
Old 5th April 2012, 01:11 PM   #10

Just the thought of having to use a mediaplayer for playing audio over the TV speakers.... The horror ! That would be the end of the hobby for me.

Marc, you should experiment somewhat more with low jitter stuff. I have to admit that the motto "garbage in, garbage out" is less valid with the newer DAC chips with jitter reduction techniques but still...

A good source is the base for good audio. Room acoustics is an entirely different thing (but also important).

Last edited by jean-paul; 5th April 2012 at 01:15 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!