Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2012, 11:27 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNUBZ View Post
Does anyone know of a product or kit that can output spdif and play lossless files. It has to be able to work on it's own so a computer will not work. Any ideas?
If you want to compare 24/96 to CD quality files without a PC:
Probably not what you are after, but it's almost free (if you have a DVD/Blu-ray player).
if you want to play 24 bit files without buying any new kit without a PC you can burn flac files 24/48 and 24/96 to a DVD disc for playback on a DVD or Blu-ray player with optical spdif.

I just did this with Lplex.
lplex | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

Drag and drop 24/48 and 24/96 flac files onto the Lpex executable, burn them with a program like DVDDecrypter. Tracks will run with the screen off. for instance I have Peter Gabriel New blood 24/48 sitting on a dvd ready to compare to the CD, FWIW (Great album either way).
You can cycle through the tracks with your players remote.

Last edited by rob g; 9th April 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 9th April 2012, 01:38 PM   #22
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
I said here that 44.1 and 48kHz are bit-perfect on WDTV Live with the latest firmware.
It does however resample the 96 and 192 to 48kHz. And, with the current firmware doesn't output the 88.2 or 176.4kHz. It used to work on previous firmwares, but then the 44.1 wasn't bitperfect, so they "fixed" one and broke two
I didn't think the wdtv had an internal hard drive. What size is the hard drive and will it play 24/96k flac as well?
Old 9th April 2012, 06:27 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Takes an USB-connected HDD or network (ethernet) share.
For internal HDD they have WDTV Live Hub.
I am not trying to "sell" nothing, there are many similar media players with better or worse features. This is what I settled with for now.
Old 9th April 2012, 09:01 PM   #24
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Paul
Just the thought of having to use a mediaplayer for playing audio over the TV speakers.... The horror ! That would be the end of the hobby for me.

Marc, you should experiment somewhat more with low jitter stuff. I have to admit that the motto "garbage in, garbage out" is less valid with the newer DAC chips with jitter reduction techniques but still...

A good source is the base for good audio. Room acoustics is an entirely different thing (but also important).
there are also things like the i2s/spdif fifo from here that make jitter from the computer pretty much a thing of the past, then if you want to take it another step, you have SoTM tX-USB which provides a linear supply (as well as inputs for your own supply) on your USB, ground lift, decent clocks for the usb itself. no experience of this device, but as ive said a few days ago in case you have shilling senses tingling, I find it intriguing, if a bit pricey

Last edited by qusp; 9th April 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 9th April 2012, 10:14 PM   #25
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi, I see I really am old fashioned but I like dedicated gear that does what is can do at its best. There are a lot of mediocre quality things in life as cost is the most important factor for many. So I like stand alone machines that sound excellent. In my humble opinion computers can do all kinds of things nicely but I like my music to be played on a RF free, fanless, screenless device that can be operated with one hand or a remote. In all the listening sessions I had with friends they were occupied for hours with "settings" and when their noisy sources lost from old gear I always got an excuse afterwards that is was the very same "settings" that were to blame. It also took a long preparation time for them to start and I was glad my room was empty again after the listening.

No snobbism here but when you work with computers you also get distracted easily. At least I do. So the extra cost is no problem for me. There are extra costs involved when one wants to use a computer with good results too. Always extra devices for this and that...you end up with all kinds of flashy devices and cabling everywhere.

Last edited by jean-paul; 9th April 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:49 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

I keep my PC in a different room than the one with the media player (livingroom), so there is no noise from it. And I have one ethernet cable and one SPDIF attached to it.

In my bedroom I have another setup with "real" CD/SACD players, I am not exclusive
Old 10th April 2012, 01:15 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNUBZ View Post
right now I am looking for my car.
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=...25983756&prc=5

Price in Chinese money 268rmb - which translates to around $43. I'm ordering one just to use as a test tone generator (I don't have a car)
Old 10th April 2012, 02:40 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

It's at 24V...
Old 10th April 2012, 02:46 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
There are two versions - 12 and 24V. Also there's a more expensive one with Aux-In and different amp chips.
Old 10th April 2012, 10:31 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Yeap, it's almost impossible to navigate for me. There is only so much google translate can do
I don't know how can you trust it as a generator, it probably has one of those horrible sigma-delta dacs...

Hide this!Advertise here!