Wanted FLAC player with spdif out - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2012, 02:14 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Just the thought of having to use a mediaplayer for playinmg audio over the TV speakers.... The horror !
I agree, that's why you don't! Use a HiFi setup for audio reproduction and a TV to select the tracks not to make sound, use the TV as a monitor...
Old 5th April 2012, 05:27 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Cheap means lots of jitter + the need for a TV to play audio as they are meant for video.
You use the TV just to navigate thru player menu. Output is/can be separated, via HDMI or SPDIF, straight to your high-quality DAC.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 5th April 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 5th April 2012, 05:33 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Exactly, that's what I do... Sounds great!
Old 5th April 2012, 07:57 PM   #14
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Aune Audio in China make such devices. See auneaudio.com. They have a good reputation but seem a bit pricy. A number of the Chinese web-based sellars should stock them.
The Mini APE Series i sort of what I am looking for but it is too expensive. There isn't anything like the minty mp3 that plays FLAC? I don't need anything fancy or ultra high end. Just something I can use to send a spdif signal to my Audison bit one.
Old 5th April 2012, 08:16 PM   #15
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
You use the TV just to navigate thru player menu. Output is/can be separated, via HDMI or SPDIF, straight to your high-quality DAC.

Click the image to open in full size.

So that is 3 devices for one goal (or even 4 if a separate hard disk is used). IMO one box that has all and would have the sole purpose of playing various audio files the best way it can would :

- have less jitter
- sound better for various reasons
- have a smaller footprint
- have no interfacing/matching problems or challenges
- be less complex
- take less space in terms of height
- use less power
- have less wiring or no wiring at all except for outputs
- have a big chance of producing less noise i.e. non audio sound like hard disk/fan noise

It would probably be easier to operate as well (and don't underestimate the looks). Take it as a "kaizen" approach if you like. But that would probably a too simple device with not enough tweakability in the cabling area

I now see that DJNUBZ wishes a non fancy device so I better keep my mouth shut.

Last edited by jean-paul; 5th April 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 5th April 2012, 10:31 PM   #16
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Jean-paul I want something like that for my house but right now I am looking for my car.

I think that once the raspberry PI is released, you will be able to do a project like you are talking about very easily.
Old 6th April 2012, 12:26 AM   #17
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Optical devices against hardisk based devices = no competition....
Oppo has usb and network connection ;-) think the bd drive as a bonus.
Old 6th April 2012, 01:27 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Bonus? It's 10 times more expensive.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:07 AM   #19
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I just checked my WDTV Live because of a rumour that it resamples from 44.1 to something else. Hooked up to an SRC2496, I got 44.1 from FLAC files (CD rips), and varying sample rates from streaming internet sources.

As for the need for a TV... watch out for broken portable DVD players, car video screens, and the add-on mini LCD screens made for game consoles. Very often those can be readily modified to be used with regular composite video. Also check out car audio dealers... you may find demo models or old stock headrest or overhead LCD displays going cheap. Old camcorders may also have usable displays.

The range of streaming radio stations available now is extraordinary. I was just listening to Japan and Israel, plus a college radio station I used to enjoy when I lived nearby. I couldn't tell the bitrate, but I'd say the quality was better than satellite radio.

Anyway, I think jitter rejection is the responsiblity of a competently designed DAC.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:35 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I said here that 44.1 and 48kHz are bit-perfect on WDTV Live with the latest firmware.
It does however resample the 96 and 192 to 48kHz. And, with the current firmware doesn't output the 88.2 or 176.4kHz. It used to work on previous firmwares, but then the 44.1 wasn't bitperfect, so they "fixed" one and broke two

Hide this!Advertise here!