PCI USB 2.0 Card Tweaking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A lot of you guys are working with USB DAC's.
Some with Isynchronous others with Asynchronous.

All of those USB dac's will probarly use the PC motherboards onboard USB connection.

There are a lot of discussions around the USB cable quality and length.

If the sound quality will be effected by the USB cable lengte and quality then I could imagine that the USB transmitter side wil also interact with the audio quality.

Has anyone tried to tweak a dedicated USB 2.0/3.0 PCI card?
Replace clock crystal and or upgrade PSU for the USB chips?

SOtM 'audiophile' USB card which allows battery power input and has onboard linear regulators, it would be a nice base for further tweaking too, they also do an inline filter for SATA interface though i'm not sure what speeds it will deal with. these guys have been doing dedicated music servers for a while. some of it is a bit dubious, but the sata filter at that price is worth a try.

i've been thinking about buying one of the few external thunderbolt PCIe chassis for my mac mini and using one of these tweaked to the hilt

The SOtM tX-USB is an audiophile PCI to USB audio card like no other. This audio card has a unique design incorporating a power line noise filter. It then has individual ultra low noise regulators to power the usb devices attached, the on board ultra low jitter clock and the on broad PCI host controller. You can also use the audio card's power connector (4 pin Molex) to supply it with your own linear or battery power supply for an additional boot in performance. The audio card also has a convenient switch to turn off the power on the USB cable all together. It simply does not get any better than this!

no affiliation, i'm intrigued by this myself

how many USB ports do you need for an audio setup? you would want to keep anything not audio related on the regular USB bus and just have a drive and your dac on this. its a little on the pricey side, but not totally OTT given the parts choice and R&D for smallish sales made. i'm considering it, but yes although ive seen one report here from someone that said its fantastic, i'de like to see more feedback.

there is of course argument for doing it just for completeness so all bases are covered and there would be less need for over the top isolation on the dac side. i dont see why it wouldnt provide an improvement, likely more basis for improvement than many other more expensive USB tweaks and i like the power defeat switch.

the noise on USB ground is a big deal and the noise floor that will have a decent impact on phase noise in the is stream. no experience with this thing, but ive sure spent some money trying to solve the problems it should avoid

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.