Philips CD-960

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Timson said:
Hi, Pal,
I got CD950 which sounds well.
I heard that CD880 & CD960 is much better. Now I found a CD960 without variable (RCA) out in the 2nd market.
Does it mean this CD960 has no volume control?
Is it worth to get one while I've already got CD950 which has volume control?

Your opinion, please.

Happy listening!

The 950 and 960 are two completely different players. Don't trust the numbers ;)

Timson said:

Hi Bricolo,

From your reply, it's worth to have a 960, I think.
I heard so much abt 960, some says it's the best; some says it's out-dated & no analysis.
Would you mind to tell more abt it?

Thanks & happy listening!

I can't tell you much about this player, I never heard one myself. But I've only read good things about it (except that the laser isn't available if it dies :( )

I just wanted to precise that the 950 and 960 aren't similar, and aren't in the same products line (the 960 is much older). I've also been fooled by the numbers at the beginning

I heard so much abt 960, some says it's the best; some says it's out-dated & no analysis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally did not think so. Had a new one;sounded very digital; upfront and 1-D.

Pooged it; PCB badly made; tracls came off easily (I am experienced in modding); never sounded that grade.

Most newer CD will beat it.

fmak said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally did not think so. Had a new one;sounded very digital; upfront and 1-D.

Pooged it; PCB badly made; tracls came off easily (I am experienced in modding); never sounded that grade.

Most newer CD will beat it.

If You want to use it as a transport,then it`s one of the best!!
You can have.But using the analogue stage,you have to do a lot
modifications to have it sound well.

ManUtd

ManUtd said:

If You want to use it as a transport,then it`s one of the best!!
You can have.But using the analogue stage,you have to do a lot
modifications to have it sound well.

ManUtd

Hello ManUtd,

Thanks for the advice.
Is there any difference between coaxial & toslink?
What DAC will you select ( a personal question)?

Thanks & have a nice weekend!

Timson said:

Hello ManUtd,

Thanks for the advice.
Is there any difference between coaxial & toslink?
What DAC will you select ( a personal question)?

Thanks & have a nice weekend!

I`m using a DAC from Audio Synthesis called DSM with an external
powersupply called ASP-02,it sounds perfectly analog to me.
I have only used Coaxial out and i also heard it is better than
Toslink.Soon there will be some tweeks on my DSM also i think.

Have a nice weekend You too.

ManUtd.
;)

I've been reading a lot of treads around this forum, but I can't find an answer to my (current...;) ) question....

In the site regarding the CD-PRO2M ( http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/index.html ) it says that: <The CD-PRO2M is the advised upgrade for the CDM12 industrial and the CD-PRO.
The CD-PRO2M is soft and hardware backwards compatible.>

Is there a player I could get that easily would accept this unit ?
(eventually defect !?)
Seems to be a good one !?

Lyra

Is the CD960 a bad player ?

Hi,

I have two pieces of CD960, one modded and one in original condition. Both read CD rom without problems, so lasers are good.

Both did not show good performance when tested with analyzer.
Now I thought they have bad 1541...

See New DAC measurements thread... post 3,4,5.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49778

Today I soldered a socket in the modded CD960 to test a few 1541 and the first three of them all were bad and all showed same symptoms, harmonics looked pretty the same on all of them.

This made me wonder and I tested one of the chips in a CD880, it was much much better.

I do not believe that there is something defective because both CD960 have the same problem, I will put a socket into the other one to be sure.

When I measured chips before, there was no difference between 304mkII, CD650, CD880.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I assume they all have been replaced. A cdplayer that is from 1987 can't have the original ones and measure well.

Not being familiar with CD960 I only can suggest that maybe it has a lousy pcb layout ( as with a lot of old Philips cdplayers ) with wrong ground returns ?!?!

Ok, socket in the other CD960, tested 1 chip in CD584 cheap plastic player, CD880 and both CD960.

CD880 is a little better than CD584 but both CD960 are very bad.

As mentioned before CD650 and CD304mkII have been equal to CD880.

How you judge layout of those other players ?

Maybe it is the green decoupling caps ?

Spectra of each CD960 looks very different, but same layout...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.