USB Power Isolator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2012, 12:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default USB Power Isolator

I was wondering if anyone has done a DIY version of the Aqvox USB power supply for USB audio. They use an external PS to run the downstream USB device, like a DAC. I am using the exaU2I USB to I2S converter. Most of the power comes from the USB buss. I think it may benefit from a device like the Aqvox. I do not believe that Aqvox provides any isolation on the signal lines. I think they cut the 5v power line and power ground and put a 44 ohm resistor in line. This keeps the host happy. The then use their 5v supply for the downstream device. I am wondering if it is really this simple?
Old 24th March 2012, 12:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

With my USB mixer I cut the 5 volts completely leaving the data and ground intact.
So all the power used comes from a mains adaptor.
Old 24th March 2012, 06:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The problem with both setups you two mention is that there is no ground isolation. The computer's ground is just as large a source of noise pollution as the supply line. Ideally, in a hard-wired setup, power & power ground should be idependent, and the data line should be transformer-coupled, so there is no direct connection to the pc at all.

Hide this!Advertise here!