diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   Marantz CD-4000 broken (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/209411-marantz-cd-4000-broken.html)

haik 23rd March 2012 10:11 AM

Marantz CD-4000 broken

Hello,

My Marantz CD4000 is broken. It loads the CD, then after 5 seconds ejects it.
(it does not spin)

I opened the player, and checked the laser.

The things that happen:

1. The laser does not go "up" to search for the CD
2. The laser is not visible (is that correct, or should the laser be visible)

What can be done with this? I assume the tray is a VAM1201.

Haik

Mooly 23rd March 2012 05:55 PM

Make sure that the mechanism fully completes the loading cycle. I'm not familiar with the Marantz but the VAM type pickups usually "lift" to meet the disc. Make sure no loading belts are slipping.

If the laser sled assembly is wound out manually away from the platter then it should automatically return to the rest position when the player is powered up or the tray ejected.

The laser will only be visible during the focus search routine (lens going up and down when tray is closed) and is not easy to see anyway as it's mainly infra red.

So if it is not doing a focus search then the problem doesn't sound laser related.

haik 27th March 2012 11:57 AM

OK, I checked everything.

removed and cleaned the cables connectors of the laser unit, cleaned the contacts of the door slide switch.

Problem solved. It works again.

haik 27th March 2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haik (Post 2961978)
OK, I checked everything.

removed and cleaned the cables connectors of the laser unit, cleaned the contacts of the door slide switch.

Problem solved. It works again.

Seems not to work.

It works fine with original CD's, but the ones I burned it works sometimes, skips couple of seconds of music, jumps to next track etc... Sometime I see "disk not finalized" (of course it is finalized).
The burned disks work flawlessly in s different Marantz player.

I cleaned the lens, and no difference.

Also, when I press STOP, the CD starts to turn very very fast the WRONG way, and when I open the tray, it is still spinning in the tray. I assume it is the "brake" of the CD player to stop the CD when opening the tray. But it does not stop.

Is it the laser unit? I can get a laser unit for 10-15 euro at ebay. Or is it the electronics below it?

Is it worth?

Haik

fonon 27th March 2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haik (Post 2962031)
It works fine with original CD's, but the ones I burned it works sometimes, skips couple of seconds of music, jumps to next track etc... Sometime I see "disk not finalized" (of course it is finalized).
The burned disks work flawlessly in s different Marantz player.

Could You do the disc quality test of burned CD-R using kprobe or nero cd-dvdspeed? The problem with "disk not finalized" message is probably related to CDM12/VAM12xx compatibility issue. I have the same problem with one original, pressed CD on my Philips player.
Regards,
f.

Mooly 27th March 2012 05:10 PM

Burned CD's vary enourmously from machine to machine.
It would be worth trying a new CDR burned on another PC if possible. The definitive way to test this is to look at the RF signal coming of the disc with a scope on both pressed CD's and burned CDR's. The Marantz may or may not be "marginal"... without proper tests it's impossible to say. If the level is lowish on pressed discs (pointing to a pickup or alignment issue) then with CDR it's almost certain to give trouble.

Burning at the fastest speed is not always the answer too. I tested this on my laptop and the best recovered RF on playback on a standard CD player came from the lower speeds.

SoNic_real_one 27th March 2012 07:38 PM

I usually get best results if I burn at just 1/2 of the maximum speed...

fonon 27th March 2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one (Post 2962511)
I usually get best results if I burn at just 1/2 of the maximum speed...

The audio CD must be burned with CLV strategy (max 16x speed). The optimum speed depends on media, too. Some disc are designed as high-speed only. There is no problem with reading good quality and properly burned media on VAM12xx.
f.

haik 28th March 2012 08:21 AM

Interesting. It worked before. I could play any disk.

Then once upon a time, the CD4000 stopped reading any disks. Then I put the CD player away, and used my old one, the Marantz 67SE. That one eats everything.

Now I want to build in a different DAC, so I started to "repair" the CD4000.

The interesting thing I see, if a CD is played and I press STOP, then the disk start to spin the other way (counter clockwise) very very fast, and does not stop. Then the slide opens with the spinning disk falling on the slide.

Is the electronics that control the motor broken? Al lot of TDA IC's are soldered there. Since they are normal IC's (not SMD's) it is easy to replace them.

Is it an idea to replace them, or is it a processor which controls these IC's which gives wrong commands?

Does anyone have a schematic of the control part of the laserunit?

Is there a shop that sells spare parts for Marantz CD-players? E-bay sellers? Some shop in Europe?

Mooly 28th March 2012 10:43 AM

The disc spining fast and backwards are symptoms that "servo lock" has been lost. It's not a motor drive fault.

The answer to this is to look with a scope at the signal. Unless you do detailed tests and gather and understand all the information then you are just guessing as to the cause.

CDR's are very "non standard" compared to pressed Red book standard discs.