PCM to DSD conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone

I need a means of converting a standard SPDIF output from PCM (probably just 24bit I2S to start with) into left and right DSD data streams with the appropriate clocks.

I've tried using a signal converter from dCS but this proved unsuitable for the application so I'm thinking of developing an FPGA-based solution.

Just wondering if anyone has developed or even just used a PCM to DSD converter? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Liz

Just wondering if anyone has developed or even just used a PCM to DSD converter? Any recommendations?

---------------------------------------------------------
I have used the dCS972 and the 3 wire sdif2 interface works well. Can you convert this into what you want; there is adequte info on sdif2.

Thanks for the reply fmac.

I'm trying to ***** the performance of a DSD device using a signal source that originates as PCM data, so the conversion process needs to produce a very stable output and so far I've found the dCS972 SDIF2 IF to be too jittery for this application.

I'm trying to ***** the performance of a DSD device using a signal source that originates as PCM data, so the conversion process needs to produce a very stable output and so far I've found the dCS972 SDIF2 IF to be too jittery for this application. [/B][/QUOTE]
------------------------------------------------------

Can you not relock? I'd like to know what level of jitter you have found as I don't particularly like the sound of upsampled DSD on the 972/954. However, the 954 is supposed to have dual pll and you may be able to get the recovered data streams from there. I have found the cable connections to be very important.

Is the new firewire type interface any better?

liz said:
Thanks for the reply fmac.

I'm trying to ***** the performance of a DSD device using a signal source that originates as PCM data, so the conversion process needs to produce a very stable output and so far I've found the dCS972 SDIF2 IF to be too jittery for this application.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I looked up the 972 manual and the DSD data stream looks good. I have also examined the clock out on a scope and it seems to be one of the best I have seen; very square, well damped and no broadening.

One aspect about the dCs connection I have doubt about is the twisted pair connections inside the unit which is far from tidy. May be worth running true 75R outputs from, the pcbs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.