Problem with repalcement of KSS-212 optical pick-up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have no experience with SONY optical pick-ups. The old drive with KSS-212B was probably serviced in the past (should be: KSS-150A). I tried to replace the laser. The replacement of laser unit seems to be a simple task, but not in this case. There was no free space to turn and remove the laser. I had to remove the plastic frame. After many maneuvers I managed to pull out the laser. It lasted a very long time. I am afraid to damage the new laser. The only way seems to be removal of the white cog-wheel. Any idea?
f.

The mechanism with optical pick-up and plastic frame removed.

Attachments

• mecha1.jpg
    mecha1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 51
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The gears should remove OK. I would have to have it in front of me but it looks like the top gear may have moulded plastic "tabs" to locate it on the spindle. If so the gear will pull off if you are careful. You might have to very gently ease the tabs with a jewellers screwdriver etc to get it started.

The gears should remove OK.
I have seen movies where the laser was removed and installed without difficulty. I don't know why in this case there is a problem.

I would have to have it in front of me but it looks like the top gear may have moulded plastic "tabs" to locate it on the spindle. If so the gear will pull off if you are careful. You might have to very gently ease the tabs with a jewellers screwdriver etc to get it started.

The top gear is fixed on the spindle by metal, ring-shaped cotter (try to magnify the photo). I tried to remove it, but it isn't easy job.
Regards,
f.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.