problems playing last tracks on CDRs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2012, 01:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default problems playing last tracks on CDRs?

I usually don't ask questions about cheesy players like this but in this case I have to.

The factory deck in my 06 grandprix has been giving me problems lately playing the last few tracks on CDs. As best I can tell its mainly on CDRs but not all of them and it doesn't seem to be brand related. I think the problem is aggravated by heat though. Sometimes it will play the last tracks on a CDR while another time it won't on the same exact disc.

It doesn't skip on the tracks but rather it sounds like its having problems reading the disc with clicking and distortion. On some discs it will actually just skip the track and reset to the beginning of the cd but this is rare. It starts out barely doing it and gets worse and worse as you get to the end of the cd.

I'm assuming this probably isn't caused by something simple a dirty lens? I don't mind pulling the player out and tearing it open if I know I'll be able to fix the problem easily. I'd rather not go to an aftermarket headunit if I don't have to.
Old 15th March 2012, 01:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

you can clean the lens but im afraid its the laser dying or something afecting the laser focus.
Old 15th March 2012, 01:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
you can clean the lens but im afraid its the laser dying or something afecting the laser focus.

I'm guessing the outer tracks of a CDr are harder to read for some reason? I would also assume it would be the laser dying, not sure what would have effected its focus.
Old 15th March 2012, 02:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

i had a sony doing that same problem , it had a small screw on the laser pickup , i turned the screw untill the player started reading discs again , lasted 2 years more then laser died.

Last edited by lduarte1973; 15th March 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 16th March 2012, 05:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The laser output has reduced over time.

Hide this!Advertise here!