USB to I2S: M2Tech vs XMOS vs Open-source Qnktc - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2012, 04:39 PM   #41
juanito is offline juanito  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodesign View Post
I sell the M2Tech USB to I2S module by AckoDAC (https://sites.google.com/site/ackodac/home) at 80 euro + shipping
Hi, may be I'm on the wrong thread, but now I see you tested QNKTC DAC: have you had any issues with this DAC and Mac OSX?

I have this DAC. With windows and Asio plus Foobar 2000 it works perfect. But I recently bought an Imac with OSX (snow leopard) and when using this DAC with itune or VLC media player or Cog player (there is no foobar for mac), after a while I have distortion in sound. It's very strange because it works fine for a few songs and then it's a kind of electric distortion. I'm going to install a windows partition and try also. But it surprise me because I saw that OSX doesn't need any Asio drivers, it's natively. I also changed settings with Midi Application, but nothing at all goes on.
Well if you heard any thing similar with these Dac's and OSX I would appreciate much your help.
Thanks. Bye.
JOHN
Old 21st April 2012, 05:57 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audiodesign Send a message via Skype™ to audiodesign
Try the player used by me
Old 21st April 2012, 06:17 PM   #43
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanito View Post
Hi, may be I'm on the wrong thread, but now I see you tested QNKTC DAC: have you had any issues with this DAC and Mac OSX?

I have this DAC. With windows and Asio plus Foobar 2000 it works perfect. But I recently bought an Imac with OSX (snow leopard) and when using this DAC with itune or VLC media player or Cog player (there is no foobar for mac), after a while I have distortion in sound. It's very strange because it works fine for a few songs and then it's a kind of electric distortion. I'm going to install a windows partition and try also. But it surprise me because I saw that OSX doesn't need any Asio drivers, it's natively. I also changed settings with Midi Application, but nothing at all goes on.
Well if you heard any thing similar with these Dac's and OSX I would appreciate much your help.
Thanks. Bye.
JOHN
You'd probably be better served by posting your question on this thread:
Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget
Old 27th April 2012, 12:41 AM   #44
2A3SET is offline 2A3SET  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Passive I/V for 1955

Andrea,

Can we run AD1955 passive like this to be compliant with the datasheet? With 2K load, there should be about 400mv RMS at output.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad1955out.jpg (18.8 KB, 670 views)

Last edited by 2A3SET; 27th April 2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 27th April 2012, 06:16 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

I have tested many configurations with AD1955 and output transformers but always I get bad results (http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa399/slaa399.pdf).

To get a flat frequency response and low distortion the best method is a pure resistor followed by a high impedance stage like a vacuum tube.

The 200 ohm value has been found after many test from 47 to 2Kohm.

I should receive soon the first pcb of my hybrid output stage.
USB DAC 2 - Hi-Resolution System

Qh (http://www.quanghao.com/)will sell these pcb and the complete kit at very low cost.
Old 27th April 2012, 11:50 AM   #46
2A3SET is offline 2A3SET  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andrea, looking forward to your SEN I/V test.

Quote:
I have tested many configurations with AD1955 and output transformers but always I get bad results (http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa399/slaa399.pdf).

To get a flat frequency response and low distortion the best method is a pure resistor followed by a high impedance stage like a vacuum tube.

The 200 ohm value has been found after many test from 47 to 2Kohm.

I should receive soon the first pcb of my hybrid output stage.
USB DAC 2 - Hi-Resolution System

Qh (http://www.quanghao.com/)will sell these pcb and the complete kit at very low cost.
Old 8th May 2012, 02:31 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Here the controller to get data from XMOS module and configure any DAC like AD1955, DSD1794, ES9018 ....

IR remote command for the volume and mute.

M2Tech and Open-source Qnktc sold.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ControllerSCH.gif (24.2 KB, 538 views)
File Type: gif ControllerPCB.gif (22.6 KB, 522 views)

Last edited by audiodesign; 8th May 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 8th May 2012, 03:05 PM   #48
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here the controller to get data from XMOS module and configure any DAC like AD1955, DSD1794, ES9018 ....

IR remote command for the volume and mute.
The volume attenuation uses the extra 8 bits of the xmos chip?
Old 8th May 2012, 03:10 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Which bits ?

The volume use the special DAC function of the new DAC chips so no lost in resolution and no changes on on the analog signal
Old 8th May 2012, 03:30 PM   #50
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Which bits ?

The volume use the special DAC function of the new DAC chips so no lost in resolution and no changes on on the analog signal
Nevermind then.
I didnt know also dsd1794 had a volume function.

Hide this!Advertise here!