Pseudo-Shigaclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While waiting on the Shigaclone boards I've been looking for something to play with. The computer CD player in the shop works, but is not a good catntidate for modification.

This weekend I ran across a Sanyo CWM-460 boom-box. It has a top load CD, and was made in 2001. For $5.00 I figure it was worth a chance.

I found a manual on the net, and it does use the LA9240, but instead of the LA78601 it has a LA78622. The remote is in a third chip, the LC72336. Internally is t looks like a two bard set with the display and it's controller on one board, and everything else (AM, FM, Cassett, CD, Power supply, etc) on the main board. It uwes the 15 pin interface instead of the 16 pin one.

I'm still trying to find a 7" long #6 philips screwdriver to get it apart.

Two questions,

1) has anyone mooded one of these before?

2) is there a thread on the original Shigaclone? I've searched and not found but one other thread.

I got it stripped apart and found a bad connection that I think was causing the transport to fail.

I ran all the way thought "In Search of the Lost Chord" by the Moody Blues without a hitch other than a constant seek back and forth by the transport tracking mechanism.

Is is possible to adapt a 16 pin transport to a 15 pin interface easily? I suspect problems with the transport.

Back board it the display board.

Front board is the controller plus PS and radio.

I think I can strip out the radio and minimize the board. If I hope to replace the CPU/Display board with an Arduino.

If I can do this, I can get it stripped down enough to use with the digital outputs for testing the WM8741 board.

"Anything is possible with enough Time, Money and Effort. I'm just short of all three."

Attachments

• Running.JPG
    Running.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 228
It failed again tonight. I finally figured out the problem is the ribbon cable from the transport to the controller board.

I suspect this is a major failure mode for such systems.

I'd recommend changing this cable on all used units just for reliability sake.

Now, to go find a pn from Mouser.

Attachments

• Bad Ribbon Cable.JPG
    Bad Ribbon Cable.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 187
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.