Nice sounding caps! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2012, 01:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Nice sounding caps!

Hi Guys,

I'm in the midst of planning to mod my CD6000ose KI. I don't quite like the sound of the Silmics, it makes the player lack of dynamics and focus. I recently tried out the Nichicon Muse caps on my TEAC DAC, sounds soothing and less harsh. Any good recommendations of other caps? Thank you.
Old 9th March 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Arius is offline Arius  United States
diyAudio Member

In which portion/sub-system of your CD player are you proposing to change the caps? For analog signal coupling, I'd like a good quality film cap. Some prefer Black Gates.

I'm curious - how are you able to make such clear comparisons? Did you listen to a track, take apart your DAC, remove/replace caps, put things back together, cable up, then listen again to the same track or do you have another un-modded unit that you can compare against in real time?

I've tried similar experiments but find it hard to be sure without having an un-modded unit to make comparisons. For my DIY projects, I always build at least 2 just for such purposes. Let me say that I acknowledge that listening comparison is very subjective and I'm just asking for your methodology. So I hope others won't turn this thread into a flame fest and stay on topic.
Old 9th March 2012, 06:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Just drop some filmcaps over the electrolytics.
Old 9th March 2012, 06:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transworld View Post
Hi Guys,
sounds soothing and less harsh
Means less transparent.

Duelund Coherent are best caps (all foil paper oil are very good). Elna is a decent capacitor too.

Stay away from film metalized like Mundorf Epcos etc they are terrible in signal path ....YMMV
Old 12th March 2012, 06:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the late reply, when I replace the DAC with muse caps I like the sound improvement. But when play the cdp with its own DAC, sounds boring and unexciting. I purposely bought one pair of 4700uf 25v Gold Tune and replace the stock, the details and soundstage improve.
Old 12th March 2012, 01:05 PM   #6
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
Just drop some filmcaps over the electrolytics.
hmm without knowing the circuit and exact values this could easily be a recipe for resonance. i know its popular, but randomly throwing very low impedance film caps over electros can easily form resonant peaks with the inductance of the leads, traces and various device impedances

Last edited by qusp; 12th March 2012 at 01:07 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!