Nice sounding caps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In which portion/sub-system of your CD player are you proposing to change the caps? For analog signal coupling, I'd like a good quality film cap. Some prefer Black Gates.

I'm curious - how are you able to make such clear comparisons? Did you listen to a track, take apart your DAC, remove/replace caps, put things back together, cable up, then listen again to the same track or do you have another un-modded unit that you can compare against in real time?

I've tried similar experiments but find it hard to be sure without having an un-modded unit to make comparisons. For my DIY projects, I always build at least 2 just for such purposes. Let me say that I acknowledge that listening comparison is very subjective and I'm just asking for your methodology. So I hope others won't turn this thread into a flame fest and stay on topic.

Just drop some filmcaps over the electrolytics.

hmm without knowing the circuit and exact values this could easily be a recipe for resonance. i know its popular, but randomly throwing very low impedance film caps over electros can easily form resonant peaks with the inductance of the leads, traces and various device impedances

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.