Marantz CDP not reading

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've got a question that concerns a Marantz CD52mkII.
It' s a player I got from a friend. It does not recognise any audio disks that I have tried and that was the original problem.

When a disk has loaded and 'play' is pressed, 'ERROR' is displayed briefly and the cdp will do nothing.

I have cleaned the lense (following the advice here) but still the same problem. I have even changed the CDM4/19 transport for a new one and it still displays the same 'ERROR' message.

Obviously, I need to learn more about digital so I thought it would be a good idea to start here, before I got my hands on my long delayed steinmusic cdm12.1 kit.

Once I get the cdp working then I would start tweaking it, but let's begin at the beginning :)

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Brownlow

Somebody posted the service manual for the 43, 53, and 63 series a while ago, and you may be able to find something for the 52 as well. If not, the manual for the 53 should give you some info on putting the player into service mode and what the various error codes mean. Might help you in tracking down the problem.

Hi Li_gangyi and R0cket,

Thanks for replying to this query. I do have a service manual for this unit albeit a poor PDF. Anyway, the unit does spin and the unit makes a noise as if it is trying to read the disk. Then it doesn't do anything else. The track listing also does not appear on the display.

I don't know if that is of any more help?

Cheers.

Brownlow

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I'm probably way off on this, but theres a little button inside wich needs to be pushed by the drawer on close. If that doesn't get pushed TOC won't be read and nothing really happens.

Also Philips/Marantz cdp often come with badly soldered parts as standard.

Good advise, both can occur. The soldering process at the Philips factories has been doubtful for many years. Failure rate and complaints became too high so eventually they changed it. I once bought a nearly new but defect CD65 which had it's controller unsoldered in the PCB...

Had the button problem once too and I searched quite long before I found it was the white plastic lever that did not touch the microswitch that's on the PCB.

uhh....

Well, I've checked the +/- 15V and +/- 5V rails and they are good. I have located the microswitch as suggested, it turns out that this too appears to be ok.

The next point is about my own folly, the truth was that I did not see the disc spin, but thought it did simply because I heard activity. The noise that I heard was the swing arm moving into position.

The lesson learnt here is to SEE the fault occur. I apologise for the wild goose chase, but does that make the fault description any clearer?

Finally, is there any particular area of the PCB that could do with resoldering, servo perhaps?

Again, I am very thankful for the help I have received up to now.

Cheers.

Brownlow

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.