Kyocera, anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mdlover said:
have a look. ;)

http://k-nisi.hp.infoseek.co.jp/da-910.html

and there is another model 610, too. :)

Daaaamn. I wish that was the one I found!

Mine is a DA-410cx, though. Probably the cheapest of the bunch, though I've heard it retailed for around $500 back in the day, which ain't bad. It actually sounds pretty nice, and is built well too. I'm thinking it might be a good candidate for some modifications, since all the components are through-hole rather than surface-mount, everything is labeled well, and the main PCB has a convenient layout.

CD players

These were good CD players before Kyocera abandoned the consumer electronic product line. Like one of the other poster's above, I pick up some of these from time to time for parts and their nice chassis, which have wood panels on the sides. I opened up a few of their bottom of the line players (310's) and didn't see anything great inside, but the higher end ones should be better.

The Kyocera were manufactured in the eighties. The DA910 being the top of the range and at one stage was considered to be the "best" CD player on the market. Take one on hand and you will know why. The construction, finish is top class. And they have that ceramic finish that gives it a lot of weight. The electronics are definitely outdated. But I think it should be excellent to be used as a chassis to install some nice CDM1 drive!!

YCLee

Kyocera DA-610

I listened to this unit back in 1985 and it sounded really good but I couldn't afford it back then. I came across it on E-Bay in Jan. 2004 and I put a bid in and got it for for 60 bucks with shipping. It still worked and it sounds great. I cleaned the laser ( it was filthy ) now it sounds even better. I did have a problem with it about a week ago. It wouldn't recognize a disk but it was a simple fix, strange design though. You can move the hub on the motor spindle rather easily, if it moves down again and rubs against the laser body, I will have to somehow glue the hub on the spindle. If anyone has had similar problems please post. The unit otherwise looks like it's built to last. Pretty heavy duty motor compared to some Pioneer units I have. I have five CD players and some of them multidisc, even though the Kyocera is a single disc unit, I always end up listening to the Kyocera. I don't know what is different about it but when when the music is over I end saying "that was really nice". Must be the A/D converter. To bad they went out of business.

I actually found a 610 as well, but ended up selling it as I couldn't really justify having it sitting around here doing nothing (I have a Rotel in my system and my roommate preferred my Technics changer since it is more forgiving of her beat-up CDs). I've come across quite a number of vintage players--I've had a couple old Nakamichis come through, the Kyoceras, a Magnavox-branded Philips CD-101 (which I think was the first comercial CD player, ever--and it still works!), another Magnavox branded unit of nearly the same age that I haven't been able to identify yet, and probably some others that I'm forgetting. Funny thing is, they've all worked with very minimal repairs (cleaning the pickup, replacing worn belts, etc). I wish I could have kept them all around, but there's more money in selling, and my house has a distinct lack of storage space for such items.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.