CD60 problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well,

Thought 4 players would be too much, but...

Picked up a CD60 (marantz) for 15 euro. Playing and not one scratch on it..... No work done inside too.

However, there is a catch: the guy said it would stop or give problems when it played for a while. Not experienced that yet.

However, there are three parts of the display flickering from the part used when recording to cassette (all the time during normal playing): the A,B and text above. Randomly flickering.

Also the first digit of the minutes has some segments flickering.
Now and then some other digits flash on for a milisec.

Well, i did the obvious: resoldered both controllers and the display. Also the ps regulators. Still the same.

The guy who sold it brought it for repair. Told him it was one of the controllers (could well be, there is not much else which can be broken).

Anyone:
- seen this before?
- has a service manual/schematic?
- has a spare controller (dont lauch, picked up one for my 650)
maybe even CD50

Seems the main pcb is equal to my cd40, only opamps differ (5532 instead of lm833 IIRC). And the motorpot is extra.

So i tried the obvious: swap the fronts. But that did not work.
Communication between main and display controller must be different in 60 than 40.

This thing is perfect for my dac (transformers ordered). much more room than my 650. And i have plenty of cdm4's. 2 second hand an 3 from pollin (Till did not get all :)

Going on hols for a while, maybe i wont react here soon.

Thanx in advance,

GuidoB (!=GuidoT)

Yep; I also thought about this
On some of my old (5-10 years) sutff that uses VFDs, some characters or some bars aren't as luminous as the others. I can't tell if they are the most of the less frequently used ones, but some are clearly less luminous.
Maybe flickering is the next stage, before self distruction. I hope not

Yeeeeeeeeeeessssssss!

I talked to some people who work here at philips (heerlen) were they design displays (mostly lcd). They said that such a display works or it does not (the segments that is).

So i looked a bit further and found that the display is controlled by a telefunken chip: the U3090. And that the controller in my cd40 is also this 3090. So i took the chip out of the cd40 and into the cd60: it solved the problem.

So in the end i got a cd60 for ~45 euro's, cause that is what i paid for both players. And the cd60 looks like it came out of the box only yesterday. No scratches or anything.

i'm happy!

GuidoB

More CD60 Display Problems

Bricolo said:
Yep; I also thought about this
On some of my old (5-10 years) sutff that uses VFDs, some characters or some bars aren't as luminous as the others. I can't tell if they are the most of the less frequently used ones, but some are clearly less luminous.
Maybe flickering is the next stage, before self distruction. I hope not

I picked up a CD60 on eBay for AUD$72 = 42 Euro. It seems to be in quite good condition - plays CD's, CDR's and CDRW's. Probably doesn't look as good as Guido's as it has a few scratches here and there. The inside looks good and hasn't been worked on.

The only functional problem I can find with it is also a display problem. The left side of the display is less intense or luminous than the right side. There is a gradual increase in brightness from left to right.

Does anyone have ideas about this display or is it time to replace it (or turn it off completely)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.