Suggestions for a simple DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!

Since I mostly use my PC as a source, I would like to step-up from the soundcard to a higher quality digital-to-analog conversion solution - a DAC.

Could any of you please recommend me a beginner's DAC project? One that wouldn't be too complicated and would support up to 16-bit/44.1kHz input. A USB receiver input is preferable.

Thank you! David.

Hi David

Plenty of choice around there...
GrubDac : GrubDAC Overview
SkeletonDAC : SkeletonDAC Overview
Work in progress in the built of both, waiting for Mouser delivery, hope it will be soon ;)
They can be called USB Cable DAC, have a look, you'll undestand why.
First DAC is based on PCM2706, second PCM2704/5.
You can order a full kit for a bunch of $.
The SkeletonDAC will fullfil your USB need, GrubDAC add SPDIF Option...
Previously I've committed Alien and Bantam, based on now expensive PCM2702 (discontinued from Ti). Skeleton is the latest generation.
You have to deal with SMD soldering, training is usefull.
You'll get 16bits/44.1KHz as expected with both of those kits.
Cheers

There are a few older DACS still available in non SMD, but not many.
SMD isn't to hard to work with, plenty of guides on here, and for digital it is the best. With SMD you can minimise any loops and get the best possible decoupling with small MLCC decoupling capacitors next to power pins.

Okay then, SMD it is! But I can't understand these schematics well, I can't figure out where the inputs and outputs are located. And I can't even find a bill of materials!

Could someone post a schematic that's a bit easier to read, optimized for beginners?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.