pll1706 or other clock? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2003, 09:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to filip peters
Default pll1706 or other clock?

Hi all,

I'm planning a DAC with dir1703 receiver, and pcm1792 dac, and possibly a sampling rate converter (BB or AD) to try out upsampling.

question is: what to use for the clock signal...

The data sheets suggest a pll1706, has anybody tried this one, comments on its sound compared to something like a KWAK clock, GuidoT clock...

(searching gives info on those two clocks, but didn't find anything on the pll1706)

thanks,

Filip.
Old 27th September 2003, 04:49 PM   #2
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

I always feel bad when I find a thread with no replies. While I've had no experiences with this chip, there is a while lineup of these chips, the PLL1705, PLL1706, PLL1707 and PLL1708.

I did find a thread where kwokm used the PLL1707 and shared his results ( My CD Clock - the "Kwok Clock" ), maybe he would have something to tell us.

Also Lulpuroz in this thread DIY CD drive based on a computer CDROM (post #294) mentioned he used the PLL1705 with great sucess.

Your post sparked my interest because while not being as good as the kwak or tent clocks it could provide an improvement over a standard clock at a cheapo price... I don't know if I'd try the PLL1707/08 or the PLL1705 because they seem to have the same jitter and I'd prefer to use the simpler part (the PLL1705) but the PLL1707 is specified for audio, which I wonder how much it matters, because they just offer for frequencies... I'd probably lean towards the PLL1705 because of that, I personally wouldn't like the PLL1706 or PLL1708 because it seems like (cheacked the TI site, haven't read the datasheets yet) that they are serial controlled while the 05/07 are parallel controlled, which I would prefer, just taste.

Hide this!Advertise here!