Software tool for comparing wav files - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2012, 09:40 PM   #1
percy is offline percy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Software tool for comparing wav files

Is there a program out there that will compare two wav files and show me a sample by sample difference ?
Not just an all or nothing ('match' or 'no match') for the whole file, but if there are differences then it should show the specific samples that are different and their values.

Last edited by percy; 23rd February 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:21 PM   #2
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Audactiy is a open source sound editor - you can certainly add, subtract, scale, zoom .wav

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

Audio DiffMaker may be useful too - suposedly will time align, compensate for sample rate drift, linear frequency response

Audio DiffMaker

"Audio DiffMaker is a freeware tool set intended to help determine the absolute difference between two audio recordings, while neglecting differences due to level difference, time synchronization, or simple linear frequency responses.

for only few 10s of seconds files some math software lets you import/export .wav, create any comparision equation you can code: SciLab, Octave are free MatLab workalikes

Last edited by jcx; 23rd February 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:34 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Audio DiffMaker for sure. I've been an enthusiastic convert to Goldwave.
Old 25th February 2012, 05:27 PM   #4
percy is offline percy  United States
diyAudio Member

At first Audio Diff sounded like the exact kind of thing I was looking for but it didn't work out very well. It actually tries to "normalize" both tracks first so to speak by normalizing the gain and time alignment and a couple of other things. That defeats the purpose of "numerical" comparison of samples.

I did try unchecking/disabling those adjustments but the program then just freezes up. Perhaps a bug ? I have to kill it from the task manager at that point.

The only closest thing I found was EAC (exact audio copy) which shows individual sample values that I could visually compare but how can anyone do that for 789383 samples ?

Here's what I am trying to do -
I have 2 wav files - one is a ripped cd track and the other is recorded copy of the same track play'd back on a cd player. Its recorded on the pc via spdif. Now I am trying to compare the tracks. Basic wav compare utilities indicate that they are not "identical" copies of each other hence not bit perfect. However, on visual inspection of several samples, and the fft spectrum as well, it appears that the recorded file is - for the lack of a better term - is "near bit perfect". What I mean by that is the spectrum of the recorded file is pretty much the same as the original, the values of randomly picked but still sequential samples were identical and whatever few samples I found that were not identical were differing in value by exactly 1 - meaning a sample value of 58 in the original file was 59 in the recorded file - so not by a whole lot. So I'd say this is as good as bit perfect but I want to confirm this for the whole file. Perhaps there is a pattern or it might lead to something that can explain why its not completely but only almost bit perfect.

I'd just like the program to tell me which samples are different and what are their values. Haven't found one yet so I guess I'll just have to write my own.

Last edited by percy; 25th February 2012 at 05:30 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!