Would Kwak-Clock also improve my Soundcard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I know, I could do it without asking, but at the moment I can´t imagine what improvement this clock will give me...
Is it like comparing an 4558 opamp to an OPA627?
Would the use of the computer internal power supplies decrade performance of the Kwak-Clock very much?
Please tell me in wich cathegory I can put this tweak in, I need 3 clocks to be tweaked, so it needs too many parts for me to do it only to have done it... [I hope you´ll understand what I mean]

regards,

wssi

Elso,

If I've got something (in exemple, my cd player :goodbad: ) that uses the clock in many chips,
at the momment, 1 chip has the cristal, outputs a buffered clock to chip 2, and chip 2 outputs a buffered clock to chip 3

can I, instead of simply changing the cristal to a Kwak-Clock, connect our clock's output to the 3 chips's clock input, at the same time?

I'm not sure my explanation is clear :rolleyes:

what clocks? well, the Envy24 needs 24,4MHz and 22,57MHz.
the SBlive needs ??MHz.

this results in three Kwak-Clocks...

There might be more Improvement if I reroute the clock-lines, but thats to much for me (I have 2 killed Sblive´s and one killed Aureon, they suffered on to much - you know, hehe)

Does anyone have a SMD-layout for the clock - would be very nice!

Multiple chips using the clock

Bricolo said:
Elso,

If I've got something (in example, my cd player :goodbad: ) that uses the clock in many chips,
at the moment, 1 chip has the crystal, outputs a buffered clock to chip 2, and chip 2 outputs a buffered clock to chip 3

can I, instead of simply changing the crystal to a Kwak-Clock, connect our clock's output to the 3 chips's clock input, at the same time?

I'm not sure my explanation is clear :rolleyes:

Hi Bricolo,
Usually I connect the output of my clock to the first chip using the crystal.
Your second possibility I never tried. It involves more surgery on the player. The output of the KWAK-CLOCK has enough drive for all the chips.

Re: Multiple chips using the clock

Elso Kwak said:

Hi Bricolo,
Usually I connect the output of my clock to the first chip using the crystal.
Your second possibility I never tried. It involves more surgery on the player. The output of the KWAK-CLOCK has enough drive for all the chips.

I think it could be worth trying.

Will I simply have to connect the clock's output to each IC's clock input?
Or to use a different output resistor for each chip?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Multiple chips using the clock

Bricolo said:

Experimenting isn't a problem.
I just fear to burn something by connecting every clock together

Correction and Addition,
Bricolo I just remembered that I did omit the digital filter in the Philips CD650. To me this gave no improvement comparing with connection of the clock to the digital filter.
Later the player got problems, spinning like a flying saucer in the reverse direction at startup. This got worse and worse and finally the CDP died. I believe I have blown up a SMD clock-muting transistor that is not on the schematic I have. This transistor is in the clock-line between the SAA7210 and SAA7220.
Anyway start with connecting the new clock to one of the pads of the original crystal. Be carefull.
:att'n:

Re: Clocks for soundcard

Elso Kwak said:
Hi Weissi,
I imagine you could make a new card fitting in the slot of the computer getting the supply and loaded with three clocks. If you install it next to your soundcard in your computer you only need three wires to connect to the soundcard.
Personally I wouldn't go through all this trouble for computersound.:rolleyes:

you might be right, thats to much (there is no more pci slot available in my pc)
I´ll think about it, but thank you for your great work!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.