Technics SL-P350 with PCM56

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm rebuilding my TDA1541a player in a nice case and doing some other bits and pieces so it's going to be out of action for a while.

I needed a replacement player in the meantime and so I've bought a fully working PCM56 based player, an SL-P350 for the princely sum of £21.00 (inc postage!).

The first surprise is, it's very good! Not just decent, but actually very good indeed. It's in excellent condition inside and out with not a sign of any wear and tear (except the mechanism which is suffering from the usual dried up grease - to be removed).

The problem is, I'm looking at it thinking......I could just give the decoder it's own PSU, then maybe the DAC's (it's a twin), even the output stage maybe.

So, the question is, do you think there is much mileage in tweaking this?

The PCM56 has been used in some heavy hitting CDP's over the years so I'm thinking it's got to be worth a go, information is scarce though - has anybody got any thoughts or experience? Maybe even a pointer to a thread?

Off the bat I can see it's a different beast to the TDA with complex logic before the DAC and, according to the datasheet, a requirement for switching the output. With this in mind I'm only really interested in improving the player itself.

Cheers, Josh.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.