CDM4 player problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Got this old Philips CD380 I did some exchange of diodes and caps on the motherboard.
Regretfully it won't read cd's now; the spindle motor will just move a little one way then the other way and that's it.
Any suggestions and ideas, or do I own just another spare transport ;)

Checkout what the laser is doing without cd (remove the thing that holds the cd down:

- is it trying to focus (lens goes up/down)
- is the laser working ?

For the last thing you can look at the lens FROM AN ANGLE.
DONT LOOK STRAIGHT DOWN INTO IT (or it might be the last thing you ever saw in that eye).

If you look from an angle from half a meter or so, it is possible to see an orange glow around the lens (in a somewhat darker room).

If you have another working player, use that to see how much of an angle. Hard to put down in words, but start at 45 deg angle.

The above test is at your own risk. I dont take any responsibilty if you get damage to your eye(s)!

If all is there (disk spins a bit, laser, focus), see what comes in at the decoder (eye pattern, you need a scope).

Greetings,

GuidoB

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No offence but talking about S/N ratio...

Got this old Philips CD380 I did some exchange of diodes and caps on the motherboard.

OK, you made a mistake somewhere. Even experienced people make mistakes.

Did it read CDs before you changed the diodes and caps?

A member wants to help, maybe by stating the most obvious but nevertheless input.

Bricolo, you're bringing down the S/N ratio on these forums.Unless you've got some helpful input, please go play outside.

An unwanted and rude answer to someone wanting to help. We all once were like that or still are ( and some will never change ). That doesn't mean that you can behave rude to a person offering advice. A more suitable answer could have been: "Yes, it played cd's before I fiddled with it". Let's keep diyaudio.com like it is please, a place for the experienced as well as for the unexperienced.

To me ( and probably other members as well ) the S/N ratio is brought down more by rude behaviour than from questions that don't hurt.

Thanks Guido,

Your hints to check the laser guided me in the right direction.
The player sometimes played, sometimes not.
The slightest movement or pressure on the transport or pcb would stop the player.

Turned out one of the caps under the transport was just a bit higher than the original cap. The transport "pushed" it down, enough to damage a pcb track; altough it was very difficult to spot. Soldered the original cap in and repaired the track with a piece of wire.

And I didn't have a glass of wine yet :cool:
(killed a CD713 once doing some "quick" soldering after dinner :bawling: ).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.