Aune 32bit S1 - DLNA Player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Magsy is offline Magsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Aune 32bit S1 - DLNA Player

Click the image to open in full size.

aune 32bit S1 HIFI digital music player ( New products ) - $599.00 : hifidiy.net

Anybody have this? It looks really cool, if not just to rip out the DAC, make it use a USB I2S device (runs Linux, should be possible) and then it is a nice standalone media player.

I guess I2S is available on board but the quality may not be what we want?
Old 9th February 2012, 03:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

At $600, I would not expect to "rip the DAC". There are network media players that cost $100-150 for that.
Looks like it has AKM's AK4390 DAC on board. The 32 bit is just marketing, the real performance is equal or below the top 24 bit DAC's, at some 17-18 bit level (THD+N= - 103dB).

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 9th February 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 9th February 2012, 03:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Actually, the DAC is on a separate board that plugs into the motherboard, so this might be a candidate for modding or redoing the DAC altogether.

I like the configuration as a standalone player that doesn't need to be plugged into a TV or rely on a computer. There aren't many of those out there. It's small enough to pack into a bag and take to parties, etc.

I got one a couple of weeks ago. The sound quality is good as far as I can tell (I'm not a hyper-audiophile), but the unit is plagued by some bugs at this point, which hopefully be fixed by firmware updates. Most bothersome are skips or gaps that seem to be the result of the unit trying to keep up with the flow of data from a USB hard drive. There is a SATA port on the side which may be better (or not), but I have to find some way of powering the little laptop drives I'm using to hold the files.

--Buckapound
Old 9th February 2012, 04:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Where do all these China-based companies get those dirt cheap and perfectly fine aluminium enclosures and why don't we have access to them workshops?
Old 9th February 2012, 07:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaman View Post
Where do all these China-based companies get those dirt cheap and perfectly fine aluminium enclosures and why don't we have access to them workshops?
Seconded. Seriously. I'm sick of plastic Bud Boxes and clumsy looking steel enclosures that would be at home in a 1950's lab. At least you guys in Europe have hifi2000 from Italy, who appear to make great looking aluminum enclosures for relatively few euros.
Old 10th February 2012, 07:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yeah hifi2000 is a nice option but 90% of DIY projects are built in those nowadays.
And they're kinda boring unless you spend some serious cash to have them CNC'ed or something.

Most Chinese stuff now come with some sleek looking enclosures and (judging by final product pricing) they must be getting for $20-$30...
There is no such source atm for DIYers (at least not with a hefty markup).

Hide this!Advertise here!